Inkshed 20

TEACHING IN CONTEXTS: READING, WRITING, SPEAKING, LEARNING

Annual Conference of the Canadian Association
for the Study of Language and Learning (CASLL)

May 8-11, 2003
Hockley Highlands Inn and Conference Centre
Orangeville, Ontario

Inkshed has been a force in Canadian education for 20 years, and this is
the year to celebrate that history and create an even more interesting
future. Come and join colleagues from across Canada and the US in lively
discussion and lots of informal interaction. The sessions being planned
will more than fulfil our aim to explore the contexts of our work teaching
writing, reading, and speaking. Participants will sometimes listen and
talk, other times role-play or write informal responses; we'll also have
scheduled time to sit and read materials we've brought to share. There are
no concurrent or break-out sessions: we're all in this together! Whether
you're presenting or not, this is an ideal conference to get to know people
in your field and to let us all know what you're doing and thinking about.

For a description of the conference aims, see the call for proposals at
http://www.stthomasu.ca/inkshed/inkshed20/cfp.htm. The draft conference
program will be available soon at
http://www.stthomasu.ca/inkshed/inkshed20.

Hockley Highlands Inn is in the rolling countryside just north of  Toronto
-- an area noted for recreational sites and artists' workshops. The Inn
provides lots of space to talk, read, and have fun together. Besides
offering a full range of exercise and swim facilities, it's right on a
branch of the Bruce Trail – a capacious deck overlooks the trail, for those
who'd rather watch  than hike. We're planning an offsite Saturday-night
celebration, and those with any talent (or facsimile) are asked to bring
it. Enjoyment is a keynote of Inkshed conferences!

The Inn's website at http://www.hockleyhighlands.com/ includes virtual
tours of the facilities and a map showing its exact location on Mono
Township 3rd Line, north of Highway 9 and about 5 k. east of Orangeville.
If you're driving, we can send further instructions. The Inn is about 45
minutes north of Pearson International Airport. If you're flying in, let us
know your arrival and departure information and we'll make sure you get
back and forth.

Graduate students and the un(der)employed: please note that CASLL will try
to subsidize your conference costs, budget permitting. Save your travel and
accommodation receipts and submit them to us after the conference for a
partial reimbursement.

To sign up for the conference, take these TWO steps:

1. Contact Hockley Highlands Inn directly to arrange for accommodation. A
block of rooms is being held for us until March 30, 2003; after that,
inquire if rooms are still available. The package price of $370 includes
all meals and coffee breaks from Thursday dinner through Sunday lunch ($130
a night for each of Thursday and Friday nights, $110 for Saturday); taxes
and gratuities will add approximately 15%. This price is for a single room
with bath shared between two rooms; single rooms with private bath are $10
more a night, and slightly more luxurious rooms may be available at an
additional cost. The toll-free number for reservations is 1 800 767-8071,
and the e-mail contact is [log in to unmask]

2. To register with CASLL, print out this registration form and mail it
with your cheque to

Margaret Procter for Inkshed 20
Room 173, University College
University of Toronto
Toronto, ON M5S 3H7

(Make out the cheque to Margaret Procter for Inkshed 20; send inquiries to
[log in to unmask] or FAX 416 971-2027.)

____  $75   Regular conference fee (daily rates may be arranged)

____  $35   Students and Un(der)employed (daily rates may be arranged)

Name: _____________________________________________________

Do you need a receipt mailed to you before the conference?     Yes       No

If you will need a lift from and to Pearson Airport, please let us know as
soon as possible:

arrival time ______________  departure time _______________

Do you want vegetarian meals? Please indicate any special food needs: