Here is the official announcement of the result of 3 years of talks and
who knows how much cost and energy. I am not in a position to cast blame
for the failure of these talks because I have not been involved
directly. I will say two things. One is that I have been a proponent of
more collaboration and unity among PD organizations since my day 1 (7
years ago), and in many ways the community is much more unified now than
it has been in all those years. The boards of these organizations (and
the others not involved in the merger talks) should know that the
community wants unity.

The other comment is that I have worked closely with Robin Elliott for
nearly 5 years and I have seen numerous occassions where he has put the
interests of the community above his own interests and the interests of
his particular organization. I often say he is the leading statesman in
the PD community if not the only one.

Perry Cohen
Washington DC

------

Dear Friends,

The Parkinson s Disease Foundation regretfully announces that its
efforts to merge with the Miami-based National Parkinson Foundation have
not succeeded.

Unfortunately, the gulf between the organizational cultures and methods
of governance of the two foundations proved to be too wide to be bridged.

Although a merger could not be effected at this time, we trust that both
foundations will collaborate on policies and programs when the occasion
arises, especially for public advocacy in national affairs, where the
unity and universal participation of all parts of the Parkinson
community are essential. We hope also to cooperate in research funding
and public education.

We extend our best wishes to the National Parkinson Foundation and
recommit ourselves to strengthening our own capacity for research on
Parkinson disease and to serve the Parkinson disease community.

Signed for the Parkinson s Disease Foundation:

Lewis P. Rowland, MD, President

Stanley Fahn, MD, Scientific Director

Robin A. Elliott, Executive Director