In the past few days, there have been several messages posted to this
group about the war in Iraq.

At first glance, these messages seem completely irrelevant to our
concern in this group, which is Parkinson's disease.  And so one wants
to say: hey guys, let's stay on the subject, OK?

But actually, Parkinson's and the war ARE related.  Let's explore the
connection.

The message below, sent out to our group yesterday, reports a 9 million
dollar grant to a university in Florida to fund biomedical research to
find a cure for Parkinsons.   This is good news.  But it isn't enough.
Our country should be making a greater committment to finding cures for
conditions like PD.

The problem is that our nation has finite resources, and with so many of
them going toward miilitary purposes, we can hardly expect there to be
adequate funding of the research we need to cure Parkinson's in a timely
way

As you may know, the Bush administtration is not only spending hundreds
of billions of taxpayers' dollars to build more lethal weapons systems,
but is also literally buying political and military support for the war
against Iraq throughout the world.  The biggest aid deal is being
offered to Turkey.   The offer on the table has been 15 billion in
aid--$5 billion in grants and $10 billion in guaranteed loans--in
exchange for Turkey's agreement to host US ground troops for an invasion
of northern Iraq.

Let;s consider just the 5 billion dollars in grants that have been
offered to Turkey (little of which is likely to trickle down to actually
help the Turkish people).  That is enough money to fund 500 well-endowed
biomedical research projects (at $10 million per study) to find cures
for diseases like Parkinson's, juvenile diabetes, Alzheimer's, MS, ALS
and related conditions that affflict so many millions of people
worldwide, young and old.   Our dedication to eradicating disease would
help to transform the way that people in other parts of the world view
our nation.

Let's suppose that we were to take just 10 percent of the $5 bilion
being offered to Turkey -- 500 million dollars -- and devote that to
finding a cure for PD.  There is every reason to believe that this
research effort would find a cure within a very few years.

Is it being selfish to prioritize curing diseases over preparations for
war such as buying Turkey's support?  I don't think so.    Our support
of promising biomedical research is motivated not only by our desire to
relieve the suffering and save the lives of ourselves and our loved
ones, but also to help millions of people with conditions like
Parkinsons whom we do not personally know .  We don't want them to have
to go though the difficulties that we have experienced -- as persons
with PD or as famliies and friends of someone with this condition.

We know that cures can be found.  In the domain of stem cell research
alone, it has already been estabglished that embryonic stem cells can
generate dopamine-producing cells in rats that reverse Parkinson's
symptoms.  This research path, together with other research
explorations, would have an excellent chance of coming up with a cure
for Parkinson's very soon, if the research were adequately funded.  The
500 millions dollar figure cited above would be more than ample.  In a
few years,  the one million or so  Americans with PD could be greatly
helped or cured.

Ironically, it is quite possible that a war against Iraq will fan the
flames of anti-Americanism worldwide, thereby making us more, not less,
vulnerable to terrorism in the future. And it's widely agreed that North
Korea, for example, poses a much greater danger to world peace than does
Iraq.   The only antidote is to work with other nations to build an
international framework of law to resolve human conflicts in a
non-violent manner.

It is true that the potential war against Iraq is partly about securing
oil supplies in the region.  And indeed, if "all goes well" with the war
(which may still result in the maiming and death of tens of thousands of
Iraqis, many of them children), we may save, let's say, a quarter of a
dollar on each gallon of gas.  If you have Parkinson's, or know someone
who does, please ask yourself if the tradeoff is worth it.

How can we get the word out about the crying need for medical research
to address curable diseases?  One of our problems is that the war
advocates are more visible than we are. And they've wrapped themselves
in Old Glory (with all due respect to Brian, whose sincerity is well
known to people in this group).  For me however, the greatest
representatives of our American ideals are people like Jonas Salk, who
developed a vaccine for polio -- or Dr.  Paul Greengard, who will help
to advance the Florida Parkinson's research discussed in the news item
below.  But Dr. Greengard is not going to get the publicity that the war
mak.ers receive.

As for PD patients and their supporters -- folks, we aren't all that
visible either!

We can change that.  Let's work alongside people like Michael J. Fox and
Christopher Reeve to put a human face on the need for research.   There
are effective biomedical research advocacy groups out there, including
the ones that I work with: http://www.stemcellaction.org and
http://www.sabr.us.    It strikes me that this is a good way to help our
nation live up to its highest values of  respect for life and the
alleviation of unnecessary suffering.

Raymond Barglow