FROM:    The Associated Press State & Local Wire

 March 10, 2003, Monday

HEADLINE: Group that debunks paranormal strives to improve scientific
coverage

BYLINE: CHAKA FERGUSON, Associated Press Writer

Excerpts:

"When the center for Free Inquiry opens its newest office in Manhattan,
it
couldn't ask for a better greeting.

   The ornate sign outside the building at 30 Rockefeller Center reads
"Wisdom
and knowledge shall be the stability of our times" and a sculpture of the
Greek
god Prometheus stands prominently nearby.

   "If we had a patron saint, he would be ours," CFI-Metro NY Chairman
Austin
Dacey says of Prometheus, who brought fire and intelligence to humanity.

   The group of international skeptics, known for debunking psychics,
ghosts and
alien abductions, is opening a new office in Manhattan to promote better
scientific coverage by the news media.

 ... The Center for Inquiry, based in Amherst, N.Y., is a non-profit
organization
with two major subdivisions: the Committee for the Scientific
Investigation of
Claims of the Paranormal (CSICOP), which investigates paranormal and
fringe
science claims; and the Council for Secular Humanism, which promotes
naturalism
and secularism.

   It has branches across the globe, including Russia, Mexico, Nigeria
and
France, and publishes two magazines and a philosophy journal. The New
York
office, which was originally based in Montclair, N.J., will hold an open
house
on Friday and Saturday.

   "We are committed to reason, science and freedom of inquiry in all
areas of
human interest," said CFI founder Paul Kurtz. "So we represent a kind of
naturalistic outlook that has largely been ignored by the news media and
overlooked by the American public."

  ... the New York branch of CFI will try to link the news media and
public with scientists and
experts to cast a critical eye on fringe science and religious claims.

   Fellows of the scientific wing of the center include Francis Crick,
who,
along with James Watson, unlocked the secrets of DNA; Richard Dawkins,
Oxford
University's professor for the public understanding of science; and Bill
Nye,
the "Science Guy" of children's television.

   Pairing journalists and scientists will lead to better science
coverage
because many journalists don't understand the basics of scientific
investigation, said Kristen Alley Swain, coordinator of the Science
Journalism
Center at the University of South Florida.

   "Scientists use a different language than what the public
understands," she
said. "The journalist is in the midst of interpreting the jargon. They
have a
difficulty bridging that gap."

... Kurtz said the public doesn't hear enough from the scientific
community in
debates about important issues such as human cloning, which would be
banned by a
bill passed by the U.S. House and now under consideration by the Senate.

   "If this passes, it will go down in the annals of history as
infamously as
the efforts to suppress Darwin and Galileo," Kurtz said.

...   Swain co-authored a study on media coverage of a related topic,
stem cell
research, which found that journalists tended to quote politicians,
religious
figures and anti-abortion groups more than scientists on the issue.

   "One complaint I heard from scientists is that journalists tend to
focus most
on stories that have controversies," she said. "They probably just need
to talk
to scientists more than they do."