Dear Rayilyn,

I agree with what you say in your most recent message -- until you tell
us:

"As a PWP my life is not worth squat anyway ..."

I realize you are just expressing how you feel at times, and I've felt
that way too.  But we could equally well say -- and I'll bet that you
will agree with this -- that even a painful life is worthwhile in the
sense of deserving respect and adequate care.

A serious illness can certainly detract from life's value.  I note that
you don't take meds.  Because they just don't seem to help, I assume.

Help is on its way, in the form of biomedical research, but it's
difficult to say how long it will be before a cure is found.  Stem cell
research is one of the most promising research paths, but -- as you've
noted -- it is not supported by the government.  On the contrary, there
are politicians out there who want to criminalize it.

I appreciate your humility and truthfulness.   But I fear that if we
don't value our own lives, then others won't value them either, and
won't even perceive the importance of improving our lives and making
them as pain-free as possible.  Others -- most importantly those who
don't personally know anyone with a condition like PD -- can take this
attitude:  "A painful life is a life scarcely worth living.  So let's
not waste resources on such a life."

It seems to me that this attitude -- saying that one life is worth more
than another -- leads  to some of humanity's cruelties.   If we believe
that the life of someone in a foreign country -- in Iraqi for example
-- is worth less than the life of someone in our country, or that an
ill person's life is worth less, in an ethical sense, than that of a
well-bodied person, then we won't be in much of a position to ask our
society to look after the interests of those who are especially
vulnerable and in need of help.

Just as an ill child may need more family resources coming in his or
her direction, so it is with illness -- our society should be paying
special attention to people with serious conditions like Parkinson's.
But to get this point across to the public, we're going to have to be
very upfront about our illnesses and our needs.  That's why famous
people who go public with their illnesses -- like Michael J. Fox and
Muhammad Ali -- help our cause.  The project I'm working on, "Portraits
of Hope," which honors individual people (including the people in this
discussion group) who have conditions that stem cell research might
help, also makes an important contribution.

Well, that's enough for now Rayilyn.  I hope that your life will be
gratifying and worthwhile this weekend!   As they say, one day at a
time.

Raymond Barglow