Testimony
U.S. Senate Judiciary Committee Hearing
March 19, 2003

"Drawing the Line Between Ethical Regenerative Medicine Research and
Immoral Human Reproductive Cloning."

by Greg Wasson

Good Afternoon.

Chairman Hatch, Senator Feinstein, members of the Committee – thank
you for giving me the opportunity me to testify before you today.

The potential of regenerative medicine is of great importance to my
life. My name is Greg Wasson and I am here on behalf of the Coalition
for the Advancement of Medical Research (CAMR). CAMR is comprised of
universities, scientific and academic societies, patient's
organizations, and other entities that are devoted to supporting stem
cell research.

My task today is to speak for the millions of Americans living with
MS, ALS, Parkinson's, and many other illnesses who believe in the
promise of regenerative medicine, including therapeutic cloning.

I, along with CAMR, support every effort to criminalize and ban human
reproductive cloning. It is unsafe and unethical. However, it is
imperative that we protect stem cell research using therapeutic
cloning to provide better treatments and, hopefully, cures for a
number of debilitating and presently incurable conditions.

Eight years ago I was diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease. My fiancée,
Ann Campbell, who is here with me today, was given the same diagnosis
that same year. I was a lawyer. Ann was an editor and children's book
author. Within five years of diagnosis we were both forced to retire
on disability. I was later diagnosed with diabetes.

 Advocacy for a Parkinson’s cure brought us together. Our hope is
that scientific advances will restore our health so that  we can
enjoy a normal life together.

 An estimated 1 million Americans have Parkinson’s, a progressive,
degenerative brain disorder that is presently incurable, whose cause
is unknown, and which slowly robs its victims of the ability to move
properly – and eventually to move at all..

 We live with the knowledge that 30% of all Parkinson’s patients
develop dementia, that we are three times as likely as the general
population to develop Alzheimer’s, and that lesser cognitive problems
plague a substantial percentage of Parkinson’s patients.

 Eight years after diagnosis, I take 25 pills per day yet have
increasing difficulty controlling my symptoms. These medications also
do nothing to slow the progress of the disease. What you see when you
look at me today is an illusion - a “chemical costume” I put on every
3 hours to create the impression of even imperfect health.

 For both Ann and myself, the time will come when our medications
fail us permanently and we will be totally functionally disabled. We
will leave this world and enter a twilight world of immobility,
encased in our bodies as if in tombs, able to think but not speak,
understand but not communicate. Death will inevitably follow, and by
then it may not be unwelcome.

 Parkinson’s is just one of many chronic diseases and conditions that
are fatal at worst and leave their victims permanently disabled at
best. These diseases and conditions affect more than 100 million
Americans. Each of us here today has a loved one or friend who has a
disease such as Alzheimer’s, ALS, Diabetes or Parkinson’s.

 Time is of the essence in persuing promising research. Two years
ago, I worked with a number of persons suffering from ALS. They
became my friends. Now, two years later, most of them are dead. John
Davis, an Alabama ALS victim and fellow advocate fortunately still
living, once said of embryonic stem cell research using SCNT, “this
dog will hunt.” He meant that such research had the potential to save
countless lives, and he was right. But this research “will hunt” only
if it is not leashed and muzzled.

  We are not without hope. Regenerative medicine, including
responsibly regulated therapeutic cloning, may lead to a cure or
treatment for Parkinson’s disease, ALS, and a host of other diseases
and conditions. As you have heard today from the scientific panel,
human reproductive cloning and cloning for therapeutic medical
purposes are not the same. An unfertilized ball of perhaps 100 cells
the size of a pinhead, is neither a human life nor anything near it.
The use of SCNT does not destroy human beings – it is an attempt to
restore human life.

 Ann Campbell and I, along with millions of other Americans, are
human beings – human beings living with terrible diseases that will
kill us unless cures are found. The willingness of some here to
sacrifice our lives, to place less value on our lives than on a
chemically produced, unfertilized mass of cells perhaps grown from
one of our own hair follicles is the real crime, the real shame.

 Compassion and common sense must prevail; ignoring the potential of
therapeutic cloning would be a national tragedy and a huge mistake.
But as with other scientific advances, a vocal and well-organized
minority is trying to stop this research. Galileo, Columbus, and a
South African physician named Christian Barnard, all held scientific
beliefs that frightened their contemporaries. But the earth does
revolve around the sun, the earth is not flat, and today heart
transplants are commonplace. Today the target of scientific fear is
therapeutic cloning.

 Opponents argue that legalizing therapeutic cloning will open the
floodgates to a black- market industry in reproductive cloning. But
similar claims were once made that organ transplantations would lead
to huge black markets in harvested organs. This fear was unfounded,
and today organ donation and transplantation is strictly and
effectively regulated.

 Senators, we believe that you understand and appreciate the enormity
of the potential for saving human beings from fates such as
Parkinson’s, ALS, diabetes, and spinal cord injuries. We believe
that, individually and collectively, you will make the choice to
protect and to restore life. What greater legacy could any government
leave its citizens?

 And so, because we have hope and faith that this country will
recognize the value of research into regenerative medicine, Ann and I
are getting married this fall. On our wedding day, we will raise a
glass to the promise of a new day when diseases like Parkinson’s are
simply a terrible memory.

 In this committee, in the Senate, and in Congress, we place our
highest hopes and our most sacred trust.

 Thank you for your time.

SOURCE: http://www.plwp.org/testimony031903.htm

* * *
Murray Charters <[log in to unmask]>