Hi all -

The first part of this week found me in Washington (Bethesda, MD).  I had
been invited by the National Institutes of Health to participate in a study
of genetics as related to Parkinson's Disease.  They are trying to find, and
prove, a relationship between PD and defective or missing genes.

Also they are looking for a connection between Parkinson's and heredity.
There is some evidence that it may be a common trait in certain families.
NIH has decided that ongoing research is called for.

Arriving at the appointed time I found the staff to be pleasant and
efficient.  Within moments they began their examinations.  There were all the
standard tests for PD; walking, balance, various hand and leg movements,
speech, and the dreaded neuro psych routine.  The usual questions were asked;
any head trauma, sleep problems, toxic material exposure, family history,
drug abuse, etc.  Then there was the interview with the attending
neurologist.  She wanted to observe while I walked the corridors, turned
around, and stopped.  Pretty much the usual stuff.

As we neared the end of the tests we watched my pre op / post op video which
included a brief interview with Oprah, from December 2001.  They thanked me
for taking part in this study and arranged for the blood lab to do a draw.
Overall it was a good experience.

The campus is huge!  There are many building spread over a large area.  Here
are some hints if you ever become involved in an NIH project.  First, they
provide a van from the airport to their facilities and back.  Don't want to
wait for it?  Taxis are available but are expensive ($50 +).  If your trip
involves an overnight stay the NIH will make the arrangements with a nearby
hotel, many of which offer van service to and from the clinical center.

If you have any questions feel free to write directly to me.

Jim