hi all

i wonder if this might be implicated
in the apparent attraction of some parkies (e.g. me)
to writing rather than talking

i know that when i'm 'off'
i feel that i can't 'think right'
and words don't come easily to mind as i try to
string them together into sentences

when i'm 'on'
that difficulty essentially disappears,

but i still feel more comfortable expressing myself
via the written word rather than the spoken word

but maybe that's just me
and nothing to do with pd

the frontal lobe is vital to emotional processing
and, i think?, empathy for the emotions of others
e.g. extreme frontal lobe dysfunction
manifests in psychopathic behaviour
with no concept of harmful effects on others
and no concept of remorse
(i think? - i will do some more digging on this one
along with 'prosodics' and 'proxemics' - ha!)

janet

yrs in brayne kemmystree

ps
heard on the playground: "turns are for sissies!"

Pragmatic communication skills in patients with Parkinson's disease.

Background. Pragmatic communication abilities may depend on intact frontal
lobe systems. Independent evidence suggests that some persons with
Parkinson's disease (PD) are impaired on measures of frontal lobe function.

Hypothesis. We therefore hypothesized in Study 1 that pragmatic
communication skills would be impaired in some persons with PD and would be
linked to frontal dysfunction in these patients. In Study 2 we hypothesized
that PD patients would be unaware of their pragmatic communication deficits.

Methods. In Study 1 we administered tests of pragmatic abilities and
frontal lobe functioning to 22 persons with Parkinson's disease (PD) and 10
healthy controls. In Study 2 we obtained self-ratings of pragmatic
abilities from 11 PD patients and then checked these self-ratings against
ratings of these same abilities by the patient's spouses.

Results. We found in Study 1 that patients with PD were: (a) significantly
impaired on measures of pragmatic communication abilities, especially in
the areas of conversational appropriateness, turn-taking, prosodics and
proxemics, and that this impairment was significantly related to measures
of frontal lobe function.

In study 2 we found that PD patients overestimated their own abilities
relative to spousal ratings of those abilities and thus were unaware of the
extent of their problems with pragmatic social communication skills.

Conclusion. We conclude that pragmatic social communication skills are
impaired in PD and that this impairment may be related to frontal lobe
dysfunction.

Brain Lang 2003 Mar;84(3):414-23
McNamara P, Durso R.
Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, MA, USA
PMID: 12662979

janet paterson: an akinetic rigid subtype, albeit primarily perky, parky
pd: 56-41-37 cd: 56-44-43 tel: 613-256-8340 email: [log in to unmask]
my newsletter: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/newvoicenews/
my website: http://www.geocities.com/janet313/