Thanks to all of the list members who weighed in with their opinions.
Unfortunately, just as our disease is a designer disease, in that it's
different for everyone, the same could be said for the disability
issue.  Some of the people thought I should continue working as long as
possible, even advocating DBS to prolong the amount of time left for
working.  Others said, "Go for it.  Your family will thank you for it."
  It's nice to see what other people have to say.  Given my personal
situation(good disability plan, both the supplemental and the one run
by the teachers retirement program in CA) I think it is a good idea to
apply.  I see my doctors on Wednesday so I'll give you an update on
their reaction.

Scott