Dear REEDers,

Here's a query for you to mull over about an English, or at least
English-speaking, musician on the continent. Please be sure you send
any responses to Arne Spohr at the above address as well as to the
list.

Abigail

===============================

      I'm a Ph.D. student in musicology at the Conservatory of Music
in Cologne, Germany, writing a thesis on Anglo-German musical
relations in the field of instrumental ensemble music c.1590-1640. One
of the most important figures in this field was the instrumentalist
and composer William (Wilhelm) Brade who was of English origin, but
spent most of his professional life on the continent, mostly in
Denmark and states and towns in northern Germany.

[...]

         While I was able to discover some important documents on
Brade's continental career, I haven't been able to find out anything
about his origins and early musical training in Britain. There are at
least some reasons to believe that he is of British origin: In his
publications he most consistently labels himself as "Englisch" or
"Engländer", and his contemporaries call him an "Engländer" likewise.
Furthermore, his music exhibits certain characteristics of the English
consort idiom. I'm quite sure that tracking down the place of his
birth and the circumstances of his musical training would help to
explain certain patterns of his later career on the continent and also
characteristics of his music.

       I've corresponded with some British musicologists on Brade's
behalf, but they weren't able to help me with my question. When I
recently learned about the REED project, I wondered if it provides
resources about English provincial musicians that might also help me
to find out about Brade's identity.

      I would be very grateful if you could help me with the following
questions:
          Do you know anything about the etymology of the surname
"Brade" and about its regional frequencies? I did some genealogical
research and was able to find some Brades in Lancashire and Norfolk.
Moreover, the name seems to be relatively common in Scotland (cf.
George F. Black, The Surnames of Scotland, p. 96f.). But, if Brade was
of Scottish origin at all, would he have called himself "English" in
continental publications? Have you come across any musicians named
"Brade" in connection with your work on the REED project? Finally, a
more general question: Could you give me any advice where to continue
research on Brade's British origins?

     With best wishes and many thanks in advance,

  Arne Spohr, Musikhochschule Köln