Dear colleagues,

Vol 6 (2002) of European Medieval Drama has just been published. (For full details, see below.) Like its predecessor, volume 5 (2001), it is edited by Jelle Koopmans and Bart Ramakers and contains a selection of papers from the recent SITM conference (Groningen 2001).

Whereas the first six volumes of European Medieval Drama have been devoted exclusively to the publication of papers read at international conferences (Camerino 1996-1999 and SITM 2001), vol 7 (2003) and subsequent volumes will be published under the aegis of the new association between Brepols and the SITM. They will not focus primarily on conference acts but will contain original articles and a small number of book reviews, although, of course, there is nothing to prevent the publication of individual original research papers presented at conferences. There is also the possibility of including English translations of short non-English Medieval plays.

I would urge all colleagues not only to encourage their institutions to take out a subscription to EMD but also to consider taking out a subscription for themselves. Paid-up members of the SITM can benefit from a substantially reduced subscription rate. For further information, consult the SITM web page: http://burgundy.byu.edu/sitm. As far as I am aware, EMD is the only international periodical devoted equally to the medieval drama of all the countries of Europe, and which publishes articles in French and English (and, exceptionally, in other languages). It is now an official organ of the SITM and one that deserves the support, both in terms of subscriptions and contributions, of all those interested in Medieval theatre.

Therefore, may I take advantage of this announcement to remind colleagues of my permanent invitation to them to submit material to EMD. Original research on any aspect of the medieval drama of any European country is most welcome. Please remember also the possibility of publishing English translations of short plays. I would also be grateful if colleagues could point out to me any newly published books which deserve to be reviewed in EMD.  EMD does not set out to review all new books on medieval drama, but it will be publishing reviews on a small selection of important books.

********************************

Contents of EMD vol 6:

1. The morphology of the parade (Tom Petitt)

2. Procession and the cycle drama in England and Europe (Peter Happé)

3. Le Theatre medieval et l'espace parisien a la fin du Moyen Age (Marie Bouhaik-Girones)

4. Painful processions in late medieval Paris (Marla Carlson)

5. Festival scenarios of the Hanseatic merchants in late medieval Livonia (Anu Mand)

6. The entry of Ferdinand of the Catholic into Valladolid in 1509 (Ronald Surz)

7. A Corpus Christi play as part of the Hapsburg monarchies politics (Cora Dietl)

8. Processions, festivals et masquerades dans les litteratures medievales arabe et hebraique (Arie Schippers)

9. Performative reading: the illustrated manuscripts of Greban's Mystere de la Passion. (Robert Clark and Pamela Sheingorn)

Graham A. Runnalls
General Editor
European Medieval Drama
85A Colinton Road