I don't have much to add to this topic in the way of a cause or a cure for
sleep problems. I do though wish just to add my two cents on the matter.

Before my diagnosis of PD, I was experiencing sleep problems.  My situation
was that I would wake up early in the morning with an oppressive feeling of
"gloom and doom".  My mind must have been working overtime during my sleep
cycle but not with restful, peaceful sleep but with the worries of the world
crashing about in my brain.  I found myself greeting the day with this very
dismal perception of the world... I felt that everything that could go wrong
would go wrong. I also seemed to have lost my ability to dream.  At least, I
could not remember having dreamt.  It wasn't until a few years ago when one
of my sisters was relating a strange dream that she had recently had that I
realized that I had quit dreaming.  I remember saying "I don't dream any
more".  Since at this time I was going through all of the hormonal upheaval
of menopause, I just tacked this disturbing sleep pattern on to all of the
other unpleasant symptoms I was dealing with.

It wasn't until I began taking Sinemet about 2 months ago that I began to
dream again.  And boy, did I dream!  They were very vivid and very realistic!
 In fact, I was beginning to worry a bit that this might lead to
hallucinations over time.  I am a bit relieved that, of late, my dreaming has
settled down and I feel that my sleep has gotten somewhat back to normal.  I
would like to hear from those of you who have dealt with this "gloom & doom"
feeling...I still don't know if it was PD related or hormonal.

Dee