Leading Canadian Bio-ethicists Unite to urge Parliament: Regulate -
Don't Ban Therapeutic Cloning

Toronto/February 24,2003 - Several of Canada's top bio-ethicists,
along with a research funding organization, have come together to
urge Canada's Parliament to regulate "therapeutic" cloning, but not
to prohibit it.

Bill C-13, an Act Respecting Assisted Human Reproduction, in the
final debate stages in the House of Commons, calls for a ban on human
somatic cell nuclear transfer (SCNT), commonly known as therapeutic
cloning. The group of leading research academics and the Juvenile
Diabetes Research Foundation (JDRF) are making a final plea to
Parliamentarians to reconsider this decision.

"We feel that Parliamentarians are about to pass an unwarranted
statutory criminal ban on a potentially useful procedure," says
Timothy Caulfield, Canada Research Chair in Health Law and Policy,
University of Alberta.

Professor Caulfield, along with Abdallah Daar, Bartha Knoppers, Peter
A. Singer, David Castle and Ron Forbes have submitted an opinion
editorial for publication in the Hill Times, Canada's parliamentary
weekly newspaper.

SCNT involves removing the nucleus of an unfertilized egg cell,
replacing it with the material from the nucleus of a "somatic cell"
(a skin, heart, or nerve cell, for example), and stimulating this
cell to begin dividing. Once the cell begins dividing, stem cells can
be extracted 5-6 days later and used for research.

The researchers note that this technology offers a strong potential
for medical and scientific benefits. They also point that out that
many jurisdictions, including, recently, the State of California,
made a decision to regulate instead of prohibit therapeutic cloning
because of its great potential.

"Policy makers must be careful not to let outrageous, unsubstantiated
claims drive national policy development", said Peter A. Singer,
Professor of Medicine and Director, University of Toronto Joint
Centre for Bioethics. Dr. Singer was referring to recent publicity
claiming that human beings have been cloned.

Poll after poll shows that a majority of Canadians support research
cloning. For example, a 2002 IPSOS-REID poll found that 61% or
Canadians approve of therapeutic cloning.

"We would be better served to consider regulations that allows for
promising research to proceed, so that we won't close the door to
potential medical advances and potential life-saving cures for many
serious diseases in our society, such as juvenile (type 1) diabetes"
says Ron Forbes, President and CEO, JDRF.

To support therapeutic cloning, visit
http:// www.therapeuticcloning.ca

For more information, contact:

Timothy Caulfield 780-492-8358
Peter A. Singer 416-978-4756

Elaine Flis Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation
(905) 944-8700 ext. 268

http://www.jdfc.ca/government/opi.html

* * *
Murray Charters <[log in to unmask]>