Hi all,

I just read an ad in our local newspaper advertising a new research study
being run at Duke University, testing a new drug for Parkinson's.  The
website for this research study is:  www.pdstudy.com.

Below is a description of the study and the drug they are testing.  It is a
national study, and is being conducted at many sites around the country.

Have any of you heard of this study, or this drug?  I'm considering
volunteering for it, but I don't want to do anything that will exacerbate my
PD symptoms.  Just wondering if anyone is familiar with this study.  Any
input would be appreciated.

PRECEPT STUDY:
Physician Information

The following information on this study for physicians can be printed out
and given to your primary care doctor or neurologist.

Clinical Research Study Inclusion-Exclusion Criteria for Physicians

The PRECEPT Study is a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled,
dose-finding study to assess the efficacy and safety of CEP-1347 in patients
with early Parkinson's disease.

CEP-1347 is a potent inhibitor of members of the mixed lineage kinase (MLK)
family. MLK family members are key participants in the activation of c-Jun
N-terminal kinase (JNK), which is thought to underlie neuronal dysfunction
and subsequent death. Research at Cephalon and H. Lundbeck A/S has shown
that CEP-1347 enhances the survival of neurons that produce dopamine.
Additionally, animal models of Parkinson's disease have shown that CEP-1347
protects the dopamine-producing neurons in the specific area of the brain
affected by Parkinson's disease.

The primary objective is to determine if treatment with CEP-1347 delays the
time to onset of disability sufficient to require dopaminergic therapy.