Don.....there are a bunch of people out there who can give you more info but
for starters  you can  subscribe to the DBS surgery group
 http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DBSsurgery
 The site says ..." We are a group of people who have had one of the
DBS (deep brain stimulation) surgical procedures or are thinking about
having one done. It's our goal to provide support and information to all who
can benefit from this surgery. To start sending messages to members of this
group, simply send email to [log in to unmask] "
and
here are two  people who have had DBS and tell their stories on their  own
website
http://mac2.innanen.com/~bill/parkinsons/DBSsurgery/ Bill Innanmen

http://community.webshots.com/user/tenacitywins  Deborah Setzer
also
www.humboldt1.com/~parkinso/linkspage.htm this has links to the Dumpsters
Gang and the Hole in the Head Gang  ...(surgery)
also
you might want to post your question on the Public Forum as there are also
some that have had the DBS.   You can access the Public Forum by going to
the NPF site www.parkinson.org/index.htm# and scroll down to the Online
Forum section and click on "chat with other Parkinsonians" ...and join
...once a member, you can send/receive emails without going into the site...
Joan Hartman