Janet,

As a fellow young onset Parkinson's patient, at the now ripe age of 36,
and the President of the Young Onset Parkinson's Association whose board
consists of all young onset, I will answer these concerns openly for
you.

First I invite you to visit us at www.yopa.org and my personal site at
www.youngparkinsons.com as you may find some answers there.

To answer your first question. Yes YOPAs financial records are
available. I will gladly send you a copy if you would like. YOPAs
current net worth is $600, six hundred dollars. We do not enjoy the
budget, or paychecks, generated by the millions that the more well known
organizations bring in.  There is much YOPA could do in awareness &
support programs if we were fortunate enough to  have but 1% of that
pie!

Please note that none of us at YOPA receive any salary for our
continuous and time consuming efforts.  Two of the five of us, all
Parkinsonians, are on disability. Three of us are struggling to hold
down jobs in order to care for our children & families. I am 80%
disabled, military medical retirement, but have recently began the
stressful & physically tiring climb into a new career.

Zephtek Industries is the company, http://www.personalizedcause.com,
whom is making, taking orders, and shipping the pin. The pin generates a
mere $5 per sale to YOPA, to date we have sold around 20. We, like many
fundraisers, use these type programs due to ease of setup and product
delivery. I do the same on YoungParkinsons.com using Café Press and
Amazon.com. I in turn donate the small percentages from those sales to
YOPA.

This past Christmas YOPA spearheaded a support campaign which raised
$500 for PWP who were identified to us as needing a little help. Five
PWP were in turn sent a YOPA Christmas card with a $100 Wal-Mart gift
card. Of the 2 families who replied, one gave his children a Christmas
they otherwise would not have had & the other bought much needed
jackets.

On 26 April 2003 YOPA is leading a national team of 45 PWP in the NY
Unity Walk. This team has raised over $21,000 for research for the
event.
http://www.kintera.org/faf/search/searchTeamPart.asp?ievent=8004&lis=1&t
eam=50384

Last October we held a top-notch symposium with national level speakers
& attendees.

I followed with great dismay the issue with the pseudo-Parkinson's group
in Canada and I hope they get what they deserve. As you point out they
hurt things for smaller start-up grass roots organizations.

I assure you, as I think the many fellow PWP I  have been fortunate
enough  to meet on my journey so far would also, YOPA intends to be a
Parkinson's group supporting their fellow PWP, in any form we are
physically & financially able to.

The Internal Revenue Service has determined that the Young Onset
Parkinson's Association is EXEMPT from federal income tax under section
501(a) of the Internal Revenue Service Code as an organization described
as in section 501(c)(3) effective 4 April 2003.We have just registered
with GuideStar.com.

I hope this post answers your questions & concerns.

Feel free to call me at home, 505-293-5612, or email [log in to unmask]
if you wish.

Sincerely,

Tom Berdine
President
Young Onset Parkinson's Association(YOPA)
www.yopa.org

Tom Berdine
President
Young Onset Parkinson's Association(YOPA)
www.yopa.org

Founder
YoungParkinsons.com
www.YoungParkinsons.com