HI! Diane:
    I do not agree with this view.  If anything, because of people making
comments like this screws up the understanding of the issues by the public
and the politicians.  There are couple of reasons for this misconception of
what is actually happening.
    1. Adult stem cell mechanism of acting has recently come into doubt.  It
appears that these cells rather fuse with the somatic cell and not really
replacing the aged cell.  This argument has to be settled soon. If fusion of
adjult stem cells with old cells is really the mechansm of actiin of adult
stem cells, this will raise the possibility of cancer incidence.
    2. Because of bad publicity, more people are working with adult stem
cells and not with embryonic stem cells.  This does not mean adult stem
cells are capable of performing as good as or better than embryonic stem
cells. Not enough studies are being conducted on embryonic stem cells, much
to our detriment.
    3. For God's sake, studies with human stem cells has barely started and
there must be at least a good ten hears of work needed before we can really
conclude which way one shojudl go: Adult stem cells or Embryonic stem cells.
Adult stem cells would never be as good as embryonic stem cells inn their of
differentiating into different cell types.  If there are pluripotent adult
stem cells they are very few.   Due to recent conflicting results on adult
stem cells, it is doubtful if one can really predict their mechanism of
action.
    4.  All these so called experts should let the scientists do their work
in peace.
    The potential for stem cells in regenerative medicine is so colossal and
not very easy to comprehend.  Just like some of the publicity seeking
scientists bad mouth about cloning humans (which is simply repugnant idea
and should be banned with severe pentaly attached to such actions), some of
the publicity seeeking ethhicists do an equal damage to humanity by talking
irresponsibly without realizing how serious a damage they are doing to the
future wellbeing of humanity.
    If allowed  to pursue freely, this research has the potential to outmode
the current methds of treating several srious illnesses and numerous
currently untreatable ailments. Vitrually 100% of humanity will be able to
benefit by the potential outcome of this research.
    I feel sick of the ignorance and misconception that is being spread
about this by such publicity seeking ethicists.
    Raj