vrema
we have 3 branches of the federal govt - executive, legislative and judicial.
 also
we have 50 states with their laws, executives and courts. Private enterprise
can fund anything they want unless it is prohibited by a state or federal
law, I think..

A state could fund research or not.  So could the federal govt.  Or it/they
could prohibit it or make prirvate funding illegal.

Divorce laws differ from state to state. Some federal laws override state
laws.

Abortion is legal due to Supreme Court decision in Roe v. Wade which would
override a state law outlawing it.

If the Congress outlaws both reproductive and therapeutic cloning and
President signs, which Bush would, they would be illegal in all the states
(no private funding either) unless a Supreme Court case overturned the law.

If it's not banned you can do it, but due to unfriendly govt climate it will
take decades for results for therapeutic cloning research, in my opinion.

Complex, isn't it?  Checks and balances in federal govt and division of
powers between states and national govt.

and I'm pooped, Ray