Things went well in Calif, as the article from Battin's hometown paper concedes. The patient community had short notice of the three bills in the senate HHS committee to complete the mandate for oversight, an excess IVF embryo registry, and a bond measure to fund the research. The biggest fight was reserved for the bill introduced by Sen Battin, which would have undone the historic work that established California as the first safe haven state for escr and scnt research. The following account was posted by AJ Campbell in the MGH Web Forum yesterday.   "And the votes on the bills went like this:
SB 133: the Battin bill to essentially overturn California's historic legislation legalizing embryonic stem cell research, including scnt was defeated 3 - 7
SB 778, the bond bill, passed 8 - 2
SB 322, the bill to establish the oversight committee in charge of stem cell projects and proposals passed 10 - 3
SB 771, the embryo registry bill, passed 10 - 2
Last year's passage of Senator Deborah Ortiz's and Senator Dede Alpert's bills legalizing embryonic stem cell research and outlawing human reproductive cloning was the beginning -- not the end -- of the story.
There is the matter of how the bill/law will be implemented--in this case, the oversight committee, the bond bill, and the embryo registry. Each element and bill needed our support because as time goes on, even senators forget the immediacy of our problems and why this legislation is so important. The next step is to testify before the appropriations committee in May.
And, anyone can submit a bill that negates the earlier bill, such as Senator Jim Battin did in CA. Battin's approach was pretty good. He didn't make embryonic stem cell research illegal, he redefined human reproductive cloning to include somatic cell nuclear transfer (scnt, currently seen as the best technique to use in embryonic stem cell research--if not the only-- by the majority of research scientists).
Fortunately, not only were Greg and I there armed with our stories of life in the Parkie Lane, but we were joined by Larry Goldstein of University of California, San Diego (a wonderful witness, both a committed cell biologist and a convincing educator on the topic); Don Reed and his son Roman Reed, a spinal chord injury victim--a powerful, articulate combination of father and son; a newly reestabished friend with MS who wanted to "get involved;" and directors and representatives of various agencies and concerns. Only two of us could testify for each bill and we had figured that out ahead of time. The others were allowed to state their name and affiliation for the record.
There were many remarkable events of the day--including the wonders of using our new handicapped parking plaque.
--A lot of the organization of who would speak to what issue was determined by the witnesses themselves. Speaking in opposition to Battin's bill was solely the responsibility of the witnesses rather than the Health and Human Services Committee liaison (who was immensely helpful in keeping us informed and answering our question). So, initiative is important.
--We had people from various disease groups: PD, MS, and spinal chord injury. Our presence caused two of the senators to make statements regarding friends and family (two PD friends, one friend with a spinal chord injury, and a wife with MS). Plus a scientific expert -- a boon.
--We sat there in front of the senators and told our stories. Once again, the importance of our presence alone was evident as Greg discussed how we are living human beings, not theorhetical, not potential lives. We were an undeniable fact sitting there.
--We told our stories. I am looking forward to seeing the video of the testimony because I am told I caught everyone's attention when I said, "I am 45 years old and I am an old woman," and kept it through the four-minute testimony which was twice as long as it was supposed to be. And they listened.
--finally, without prior arrangement, all the witnesses spoke to a common theme: time is of the essence; time is not neutral; we don't have the luxury of time; time is against us unless you help now.
Finally, I am once more amazed at the importance of being there, simply letting people see us, get to know us. It does mean sharing your life with complete strangers, but the reaction is so great, so compassionate, and the results so important it is a small price to pay.
If any of you are wondering what this experience is like, what does it feel like and what does it mean to participate in the government--our government--this way, think about attending the Parkinson's Action Network Forum in May. The deadlines are all passed, but call them and see what you can work out. (800-850-4726)
I wish everyone could have this experience.

Murray Charters <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
The Desert Sun

State Senate nixes Battin bill on human cloning
‘Research cloning is wrong and should be stopped,’ La Quinta
Republican says

By Jake Henshaw
Desert Sun Sacramento Bureau
April 24th, 2003
SACRAMENTO -- State senators Wednesday again rejected a broad ban on
human cloning.

The Senate Health and Human Services Committee defeated a bill by
Sen. Jim Battin, R-La Quinta, that would have banned cloning both to
create humans and for research using cloned human embryos.

His Senate Bill 133 also would have established criminal penalties
with fines of up to $1 million for violations by organizations and up
to $250,000 by individuals.

Battin was active in writing the current state ban on human cloning,
which was the first in the nation, and no one suggested ending that
ban Wednesday.

The sometimes emotional debate focused on non-reproductive human
cloning, which is closely linked to therapies derived from stem cell
research. Scientists have said this research may lead to possible
treatment or even cures for conditions like Parkinson’s and
Alzheimer’s diseases, spinal cord injury and diabetes.

Battin and his supporters argued that this research was immoral and
unnecessary because of alternative sources of research material like
adult stem cells.

"Research cloning is wrong and should be stopped before society
starts to slide down that slippery slope," Battin said.
But some legislators and members of groups afflicted by diseases that
may be aided by the research strongly opposed the bill. "My wife had
multiple sclerosis, and I think I owe it to her and the many other
people who suffer from a variety of diseases that could benefit from
this to … oppose this bill," said Sen. Wesley Chesbro, D-Arcata,
"even though I believe it is well-intended, but from my point of
view, misguided."

Jake Henshaw is the Sacramento Bureau correspondent for The Desert
Sun. He can be reached at (916) 446-1036 or via e-mail at

SOURCE: The Desert Sun
http://www.thedesertsun.com/news/stories/local/1051148352.shtml

* * *