Roger!

Thank you for raising this and offering to do something about it!

There's a new report just out in the States in April 2003 by the National
Commission on Writing in America's Schools and Colleges (of the College
Board)"The Neglected 'R:' The Need for a WRITING Revolution."  It says that
writing instruction and student achievement in writing are in a deplorable
state and that attention needs to be paid to the devotion of time to writing
instruction in school, the development of assessment tools for writing, the
use of technology in writing instruction, and the preparation of teachers to
teach writing.

Maybe we could use this as a jumping off point and talk about writing
instruction in Canada in relation to these four issues.  And if a revolution
in writing is needed in the states maybe Canada could make do with a small,
even comic, rebellion (at least in English Canada) or find that things are
fine and we just need to tinker a little bit with what we have.

I'm not sure if I'll be able to go to San Antonio but if you need names and
titles for the caucus proposal you could put me down for "Student writing
achievement north of the 49th" or "Teaching Teachers to Teach Writing in
Canada."

Laura Atkinson, Ph.D.
Education Analyst
The Manitoba Teachers' Society
191 Harcourt Street
Winnipeg MB  R3J 3H2
Ph: (204) 888-7961 ext. 282
Fax: (204) 831-0877
E-mail: [log in to unmask]

Home address: 196 Walnut St., Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada R3G 1P5