Hi Rachel,

despite its emphasis on oral language, I've used Wood
and Kroger's "doing discourse analysis" with good success.
Students appreciated the focus on method and process and we
were able to move easily from oral to written analysis.

you could also consider: Titscher, Meyer, Wodak and Vetter,
"Methods of text and discourse analysis" and Gee's
"an introduction to discourse analysis"

Janet Giltrow has an excellent article in JTWC,
Giltrow, J. (1998). Modernizing authority: Management studies and the
grammaticalization of controlling interests. Journal of Technical
Writing and Communication 28(3): 265-286.

and for business students, I've used,

Alvesson, M. and Karreman, D. (2000). Taking the linguistic turn in
organizational research. Journal of Applied Behavioral Science 36(2):
136-158.

which situates discourse studies within business and organizational
research.

good luck, could you please share other suggestions you get?

- brent
Brenton Faber
Assistant Professor
Technical Communication