I'm passing on Doreen Starke-Meyerring's suggestions.
She will be starting at McGill in September.

As for Rachel's request, her ideas sound excellent to me. Norman
Fairclough
would certainly be a great choice, and Glenn Stillar's Analyzing
Everyday
Texts would provide a great overview. I'm not sure what Rachel would
like to
focus on, and I'm probably not the best person to ask about functional
grammar since my expertise is mostly in rhetoric and culture. If she is
interested in this type of discourse analysis, she may find Gerard
Hauser's
Introduction to Rhetorical Theory (2002) helpful. Sillars and Gronbeck
(2001) also have a nice overview of various types of communication
criticism. Schirato and Yell (2000) do a nice job of integrating
cultural
aspects into communication criticism/ discourse analysis. If she is
interested in exploring discourse analysis related to technology and
computer-mediated communication, she might find Barbara Warnick's (2002)
Critical Literacy in a Digital Age very helpful. If she would like to
focus on the genre aspect of discourse, there is a very nice Canadian
collection on the ideology of genre. I believe Anthony Pare has an
article in
it--a very interesting one for examining the intersections between genre
and
culture. If culture and intercultural discourse is interesting to her,
she
might enjoy Scollon and Scollon's (2001) Intercultural Communication as
they take a discourse approach.
Doreen Starke-Meyerring via Sharron Wall