JoAnn - Medicare IS the federal program for the "elderly" (over 65). It is
administered federally  and is therefore in all states.  Each and every state
has a Medicaid program too, for the poor and the disabled.  But these are
administered by the state with 1/2 federal funds and half state funds.Arizona
was the only state without a Medicaid program but I think it has one now too.

I hope this is helpful

Nancy deG