hello and welcome to our not so exclusive club!! i understand what you
are dealing with in terms of facing this disease. i was diagnosed at age
39 and i am now 51. to say that i was blissfuly ignorant and perhaps
even glib with the news would be an understatement. all that mattered to
me was that i did not have a "real" disease like ms, or md or one of
those other "awful" diseases. pd was something that i had heard of on
occasion but certainly no horror stories went with it to make it scarey.
besides, my husband andi were just getting our lives back on track after
his deployment in operation desert storm and we had 2 beautiful babies
to keep our lives overflowing. no time for me to worry about a left arm
that didn't swing or felt fuzzy at times. i had returned to work as a
bartender at the country club and when it became difficult for me to
count back change or to cut fruit, i took the advice of co-workers and
promised that as soon as things slowed down in my life, i would go to a
chiro to treat a pinched nerve in my back.....that's what everyone said
that it was and i'd had an mri (just to be sure) and it showed nothing
amiss. looking back, after i was finally diagnosed and the meds were
controlling my symptoms and life was back to normal, i remember
thinking, boy if this is the worst parkinson's has to throw at me-this
is a cakewalk! now, of course, i realize that it was denial and
avoidance at their best.
might i suggest that it is important for you to  explore & to experience
each of the emotions of grief before you can make your peace with this
disease? this is not an easy process-it goes in no rhyme nor reason-and
just when you think that you have finished one, another area that you
thought you had experienced and put to rest rears it's rotten little
face and you must confront that emotion again.
i've been at this for over 13 years now, and i must confess that i am
still slip-slidin' down the path to understanding and coming to grips
with this disease.
i remember something that someone wrote here on this listserv. it was
about why parkisnon's is called a disease-it went something like: dis
(means not) ease (at ease in our own bodies). this helps me to put
things in the proper order.
if  you would like to go to visit my homepage, it is listed below; if
you have any questions or if you would like some additional websites or
if you just want to vent, please feel free to email at the address
listed above! the fact that you are seeking information is a great
start. i only wish that i hadn't waited almost 7 years to become active
in pd awareness. remember-knowledge is power!!

on to other business-Dear Jo Anne;
you are in my thoughts  and my prayers and also those of my family.
we're pulling for you, girlfriend.

also, last night on the tv show "My Wife & Kids," one of the subplots
centered around buying boxing gloves autographed by Mr. Muhammad Ali. we
just happen to have such a treasured prize for our raffle for our Shake,
Rattle & Roll event which takes place in Peoria, IL on June 28th & 29th.
if anyone is interested in purchasing a raffle ticket for the boxing
gloves or a different ticket for one of 6 baskets (each worth at least
$500), please let me know and i will send you details. all proceeds will
go to the Parkinson
Alliance.

--
Joan E. Blessington Snyder       51/13