From: "Robert A. Fink, M. D." <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: PSA

> Date sent:              Sat, 3 May 2003 16:05:54 GMT
> Send reply to:         [log in to unmask]
>
> > Public Service Announcement.
> >
> > > What is a PSA?
>
> "PSA" is currently more commonly used for the Prostate Specific
> Antigen test which is done for the screening of men for prostate
> disease.  There used to be a (very good) airline on the West Coast
> called PSA (Pacific Southwest Airlines) which sadly, went out of
> business in the 80's.

it also stands for "Professional Squash Association," "Photographic Society of America,"
"Protein Sequence Analysis," "Political Studies Association," etc. etc.  :)

> This is a good example of why abbreviations should be avoided most of
> the time.  When I was the chairman of the Medical Records Committee
> at our hospital (we had to "approve" the abbreviations used in the
> charts), one of our "approved" abbreviations was:
>
> UNA = Use No Abbreviations              :-)
>
> Best,
>
> Bob

> Robert A. Fink, M. D., F.A.C.S., P. C.

hear hear!  alas, acronyms seem to have become the universal unquestionable markings of certain (and instant) knowledge and exclusivity.

here's to UNA!

ariela blum, MA (albeit non-MD, -FACS, -PC)