Maggie, Speaking of retroactive SSDI paid as a lump sum and during the year you are getting monthly payments, beware that a SSDI lump-sum payment is taxable in the year it is received; coupled with your monthly payments, and whatever other taxable income you have, you could get stung with an unpleasant tax event.  This happened to me, and at least for the tax year that I was effected, there was an option called the "Lump-Sum Election" method of figuring it that may lower your taxes. You might consider consulting a tax preparer unless, unlike me, you can handle the intricacies and angst of preparing one's own taxes.  It makes my eyes glaze over, so I got help. Good luck, Charlotte Mancuso