From: "Greg Wasson" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Saturday, May 10, 2003 11:18 AM
Subject: Re: Long-term disability

> Hi Maggie,  The way it works in under most private policies.- If you have
a long - term disability policy and you ultimately qualify for SSDI, any
money paid out by the LTD insurer covering the time that you were on
disabilty and were or are eligible to receive SSDI benefits, will be reduced
to the extent of SSDI payments covering the same period. Therefore, to the
extent that you eventually are awarded a back payment for that earlier
period,  you must be repay that amount to the LTD insurer to avoid "double
coverage". In other words, you are not allowed to "double dip" into both
your private or company plan and SSDI for the same period. It is
fundamentally fair. This should not be problem becuase the "retroactive"
SSDI payment arrives in a lump and should be in addition to the SSDI checks
you receive from that point forward, and can simply be paid over to the lTD
carrier.. Likewaise, your future checks from the LTD copany will be reduced
by the amount you get from SSDI. The lump sum the LTD company wants back is
simply the amount you get  as a back award for the prequlaification period
during which you were eligible for SSDI but were not paid because SSDI had
not yet estblished yoiur enmtitlement to ANY payment. It appears different,
but the effect is the same as the future deduction the LTD carrier will make
from your payments going forawrd to the extent of SSDI payments recieved.
The LTD payer is essentiallly the last iin line to have to pay you, and is
therefore entitled to reduce its payments by other amounts received,
including social security. It is just that since the SSDI process takes so
long from the time you become eligible, the insurer has paid out quite bit
that it was not really obligated to pay, So they are in effect saying, now
that you qualify for SSDI, if you receive a any paymernts from SSDI covering
that earlier period, we want THAT money back.. It should not hurt because
your retroactive SSDI payment will be in addition the present and future
SSDI payments. Clear as mud? And to think I was an insurance lawyer. Greg Me
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:Hi all,