Naples Daily News, FL

Michael J. Fox addresses new doctors at Miami graduation

Monday, May 12, 2003

Associated Press

MIAMI — Michael J. Fox urged the next generation of doctors to "care
deeply" about medical research that will advance the treatment of
incurable diseases when he addressed the graduating class of the
University of Miami Medical School.

Fox, who was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease in 1991, addressed
more than 130 graduates at Saturday's ceremony as both a patient and
a medical research advocate.

"In the last few years, I've gone from talking to my agent on my cell
phone to discussing cell biology with leading physicians," said Fox,
41.

He stressed the importance of supporting medical research that will
advance the treatment of incurable diseases.

"I urge you as physicians to care deeply about these issues and add
your voice and your vote into the public debate," he said.

University of Miami President Donna Shalala, who sits on the board of
Fox's foundation, presented him with the president's medal. It was
the first she has awarded.

Fox announced in 1998 that he had Parkinson's, a disease marked by
tremors, stiffness and imbalance. Since 2000, Michael J. Fox
Foundation for Parkinson's Research has provided more than $20
million for Parkinson's research, including a $375,000 grant awarded
to Mayo Clinic Jacksonville in January.

Abnormal deposits of proteins seem to be a trademark of the disease
affecting 1 million Americans, including Fox, Muhammad Ali and former
U.S. Attorney General Janet Reno, who ran for governor of Florida
last year.

On the Net:

The Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research:
http://www.michaeljfox.org

University of Miami School of Medicine:
http://www.med.miami.edu/

Information from: The Miami Herald,