http://www.nypost.com/entertainment/57450.htm

* * *

Pauley to end ‘Dateline’ stint on Tuesday
Monday, May 12, 2003
By FRAZIER MOORE AP television writer

When she began the “Today” show as its 25-year-old co-host, Jane
Pauley was described by one reporter as looking “like what she once
was: A smart sorority girl from Indiana, pretty enough to gain
acceptance among the men, but not striking enough to rattle the women
in the morning hours of pin curls and frog face.”

For all this, according to another story, she earned an annual salary
“around $70,000.”

That was in October 1976. Pauley stayed at “Today” until 1989 with,
presumably, more than one nice raise.

Then in March 1992, she premiered with “Dateline NBC” — which she
helped usher into a success after the network had flopped with at
least 17 prior newsmagazines.

Tuesday night, after a remarkable stay at NBC, Pauley, now 52, makes
her final “Dateline” appearance, interviewing Michael J. Fox and his
wife, Tracey Pollan.

The balance of the hour looks back on Pauley’s NBC years, including
remembrances from Tom Brokaw (her former “Today” colleague), Stone
Phillips (her “Dateline” co-anchor since the beginning), Barbara
Walters (a “Today” predecessor), and former “Today” cronies Bryant
Gumbel, Gene Shalit and Willard Scott, as well as interviews with
celebrities who have talked to Pauley over the years, including Bill
Cosby, Bill Murray, Cher and Garth Brooks.

There are also career highlights, including her first “Today” on Oct.
11, 1976.

“I don’t want to peak too early,” Pauley told a reporter shortly
after that debut, wary of having gone too far too fast. It may be
that, 27 years later and now ready for new challenges, she still
hasn’t.

In an interview with TV Guide for its May 10 issue, Pauley said she
wants to start a magazine and work on a television series.

“I’ll probably work on a series that would be called ‘How We Learn,’
something like you might see on PBS. I’m interested in that,” she
said.

Pauley also has talked to people about a women-oriented magazine, and
gotten favorable responses, she said.

“It’s not Oprah, not Martha Stewart Living, not Rosie. But it will be
of interest to women in my age group.”

Pauley’s husband, Doonesbury creator Garry Trudeau, supports the
career change.

“He said: ‘Being married to you is never boring.’ That was a huge
compliment, because 25 years ago, when we were still dating ... I
might’ve worried that I was going to be boring, too careful, too
cautious. And it’s the one thing I didn’t turn out to be,” Pauley
said.

SOURCE: The Repository, Canton, OH
http://www.cantonrep.com/index.php?Category=20&ID=99441&r=1

* * *