London centre lands $5M, top U.S. brain

The gift will make the Robarts Research Institute a leader in stem-
cell research.

JOHN MINER, Free Press Health Reporter
2003-05-13 03:59:56

London's Robarts Research Institute will announce this morning it is
receiving a $5-million gift that will catapult it to the fore in stem-
cell research in North America.

Robarts also will announce it has recruited a leading stem cell
researcher from California as part of a strategy to reverse the brain
drain of scientists to the U.S.

Scientists believe stem cells could lead to treatments for spinal
cord injuries, diabetes, Parkinson's, Alzheimer's, heart disease,
stroke and arthritis.

"It allows us to embark on an incredibly important area in medicine
and research in a big science way as opposed to the traditional
Canadian way of taking small steps," said Dr. Mark Poznansky,
president and scientific director.

The money is being donated by the Toronto-based Krembil Foundation to
establish the Krembil Centre for Stem Cell Biology. The 7,000-square-
foot centre will occupy part of the expanded Robarts Institute.

Poznansky said the $5 million is to be spent on research over four
years.

"We are becoming serious competitors with some of the major American
laboratories," he said.

As part of establishing the centre, Robarts has recruited Dr. Melissa
Carpenter, who was scientific director of stem cell biology for Geron
Corp.

Poznansky said attracting Carpenter is considered a major coup for
Robarts and continues a commitment to reverse the "brain drain."

"She is fantastic," Poznansky said.

Carpenter said she decided to move to Robarts because it concentrates
so much energy on its stem-cell program.

"I think it is going to be outstanding," she said.

Carpenter said Dr. Mick Bhatia, group director of stem-cell research
at Robarts, has done a remarkable job getting the research running in
London.

"He has a lot of energy and a lot of enthusiasm. Both he and Dr.
Poznansky have tremendous vision. It is one of the best programs that
I have seen."

Stem-cell research at Robarts has concentrated on discovering whether
stem cells can be used to treat spinal-cord injuries, diabetes and
heart disease.

The specialized cells have the ability to multiply and develop into
many types of cells, such as insulin-producing cells of the pancreas
or the beating cells of the heart muscle.

The $5-million gift was to be announced at a Toronto news conference
this morning.

Poznansky said Robarts would make the announcement there "because we
feel London has to have a greater presence in Toronto.

"We are an important Canadian medical research institute located in
London. We are very proud of being in London," he said.

SOURCE: The London Free Press
http://www.canoe.com/NewsStand/LondonFreePress/News/2003/05/13/85915.h
tml

* * *