Many Therapies Can Ease Swallowing Pain
Swallowing Problems Could Be Helped With Diet, Medication

UPDATED: 11:08 a.m. EDT May 14, 2003

NEW YORK -- We all swallow hundreds of times a day, and most of us
take it for granted. But some people have trouble with this seemingly
simple action.

Chip Michaels makes a living singing. But the fact that he can still
croon is a miracle. Michaels' main concern about his condition was
that he was waking up so hoarse that he could hardly speak, much less
sing -- and like most people with swallowing difficulty, his main
complaint was that he had a constant large lump in his throat.

Swallowing difficulties affect as many as 10 million Americans, said
Dr. Jonathan Aviv of Columbia-Presbyterian Medical Center. He said
they can be due to neurological diseases such as Parkinson's or Lou
Gehrig's, or lifestyle issues such as smoking and drinking alcohol,
or even tumors or just plain acid reflux -- all of which get worse as
we age.

"We all aspirate or choke a little bit every day but as this keeps
happening over a period of time, especially as we get older, the
windpipe and lungs get soiled; they get chronically infected as the
amount of asparation continues," Aviv said.

One of the things that can give people a difficult time swallowing is
certain foods.

"Certain substances like caffeine, chocolate, alcohol, and mint
increase acid production," Aviv said.

In many cases, if the problem a person is having is related to acid
reflux, antacid medications can help, as well can simply drinking
more water.

For other people, like Michaels, a combination of therapies and
steroids to reduce the inflammation in his throat is what it took to
help him with his swallowing problems.

Treatment for swallowing problems, or dysphagia, depends of course on
the cause. The diagnostic process can include everything from the
nasal scope we saw on chip to X-rays, while swallowing barium, or
doing other tests. The trick is going to a center that specializes in
dysphagia.

Additional Resources:

MEDLINEplus: Dysphagia
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/dysphagia.html

National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders
http://www.nidcd.nih.gov/health/voice/dysph.asp

Dysphagia Resource Center
http://www.dysphagia.com/

SOURCE: KCRA TV / TheKCRAChannel.com