Sue Conrad wrote today about her recent diagnosis and her rigidity
problems.  Sue, you didn't say how old you are upon diagnosis and whether
you are working or retired.  I have the same three problems -
Osteoarthritis, Osteoporosis, and Parkinson's Disease.  I was diagnosed in
1994 at age 57.  The best thing I have done for myself is a program of
water aerobics 5 days per week.  This keeps the muscles active and the body
toned.  Unforseen benefits include the laughter, friendship, and reduced
stress that come with the exercise.  I hope you will consider a program
like this in your community if available.
Good luck in finding relief from your dystonia and do stay in touch.
Margaret Miller
----------
> From: Automatic digest processor <[log in to unmask]>
> To: Recipients of PARKINSN digests <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: PARKINSN Digest - 14 May 2003 to 15 May 2003 (#2003-174)
> Date: Thursday, May 15, 2003 9:01 PM

> Topics of the day:
>
>   1. Long-term disability
>   2. <No subject given>
>   3. ScienceDaily News Release: Bone Marrow Stem Cells May One Day Help
Treat
>      Damaged Livers
>   4. Newsday.com - Stem Cell Researchers Call for Changes
>   5. Coalition for the Advancement of Medical Research: Fast Action!
>   6. Chicago Tribune | Bush's myopic stem cell policy a threat to ailing
dad

mailto:[log in to unmask]

> Date:    Thu, 15 May 2003 09:14:41 -0400
> From:    Gail Vass <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Re: Long-term disability
>
> Add to what Greg wrote a little *stinger* to LTD  that will getcha' ....
>
> As your SSDI is increased annually a few "cost of living" percents, your
> LTD is reduced that same amount.
>
> In practical terms:
>
> If you are young when you become totally disabled, poverty
> is permanently fixed into your life. As your disability increases,
> your income [in effect] decreases yearly...here's how.
>
> In numerical terms:
>
> If your disability income  [let's pick an easy number to work with]
> is figured at a base of $2,000 and you receive
> $900 from SSDI, your LTD will be $1100 [ $900 + 1100 = $2000]
>   the next year SSDI   $950 ... LTD will be $1050 = $2000
>   the next year SSDI $1000  ...LTD will be $1000  = $2000
>   the next year SSDI $1050  ...LTD will be $950  = $2000
>   the next year SSDI $1100  ...LTD will be $900  = $2000
>   the next year SSDI $1150  ...LTD will be $850 = $2000
>   the next year SSDI $1200 ... LTD will be $800 = $2000
>
> Your "income" remains at $2000 EVERY year until the LTD terminates
> which could be 62 years old or 65 years old....that's the *sting*....
> just something of which to be aware.
>
> Gail

mailto:[log in to unmask]

> ------------------------------
>
> Date:    Thu, 15 May 2003 09:02:45 -0400
> From:    Susan Conrad <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: <No subject given>
>
> Hi:
>
> I was diganoised with pd October.  It started with tremors in my right =
> hand and arm.  I now have got rigidity on the whole right side of my =
> body and also in the right knee.  I also have osteoarthritus in my back =
> and both of my knees and also severe osteoporus.  If any one has tips =
> about what to do for rigidity please let me know.
> Hope to hear from you all soon.
>
> Thanks

mailto:[log in to unmask]
> Susan Conrad
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date:    Thu, 15 May 2003 10:05:31 -0400
> From:    Diane Wyshak <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: ScienceDaily News Release: Bone Marrow Stem Cells May One Day
Help Treat Damaged Livers

> http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2003/05/030515074503.htm

mailto:[log in to unmask]

> ------------------------------
>
> Date:    Thu, 15 May 2003 11:03:51 -0400
> From:    Diane Wyshak <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Newsday.com - Stem Cell Researchers Call for Changes

http://www.newsday.com/news/science/wire/sns-ap-stem-cells,0,3826655.story?c
oll=sns%2Dap%2Dscience%2Dheadlines

mailto:[log in to unmask]

> ------------------------------
>
> Date:    Thu, 15 May 2003 11:23:55 -0400
> From:    Diane Wyshak <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Coalition for the Advancement of Medical Research: Fast Action!
>
> http://www.camradvocacy.org/fastaction/news.asp?id=586

mailto:[log in to unmask]

> Date:    Thu, 15 May 2003 17:32:26 -0400
> From:    Diane Wyshak <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Chicago Tribune | Bush's myopic stem cell policy a threat to
ailing dad

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/oped/chi-0305150230may15,1,120942
5.story?coll=chi%2Dnewsopinioncommentary%2Dhed

mailto:[log in to unmask]