Hello Carol,

I too have the problem of weak legs, which recently has worsened. I'm 53
going 54 in July and was
diagnosed April 93. I take 3 x 62,5 Sinemet and 3 x 1mg Pergolide (Permax).
I have (and always will ) kept the
meds to the minmum level possible in order to prolong the benefits and
reduce the side-effects - fortunately I've had none so far.

The leg problem is quite difficult in that if we can't stand or walk for too
long, we obviously sit, and if we sit more than stand our legs
become weaker, and if our legs become weaker we can't stand and therefore
can't walk. I have turned too three key things to help rebuild the
strength in my legs: Reflexology (Please search the web for
info/definition), Yoga and and exercise bike. Equally important is diet
(lots of fresh fruit - esp. papaya - and vegetables, eliminate all dairy and
wheat products, coffee, tea, alcohol ( i have 2-3 glasses of red wine per
week), smoking (down to 1 cigar a day from 5+)) and a goodnights sleep (at
least 6hrs unbroken). There are many days when I work in the Garden from
morning to early evening without a problem, there are days when I'll spend
the afternoon preparing the evening meal (2, maybe 3, courses). I hold on to
the positive success of those days and say to myself, 'stop fighting today,
you did it yesterday and you'll do it tomorrow; take a day off and read a
book or watch a movie', on a bad day. I also have a mantra "there's nothing
to do and no where to go", in other words be calm. I think that some of our
PD 'problems' are psychological, i.e. in the mind. I firmly believe that the
'mind' can help in halting the progress of this evil illness. More than
happy to exchange emails outside of listserv.

Regards,

Marco
(London, England)