 posted 05-26-2003 03:10 AM

---------------------------------

Posted on MGH Bulletin Board and Listserve.

I don't think Joe Lieberman has a chance of being President. Not smooth enough, not enough of all the bs it takes to become president. When they were passing out charisma, he was somewhere else.

That said, I think that it is absolutely extrordinary that a serious presidential contender like Lieberman would essentially base an entire presidential campaign on a platform of curing neurological disease, and all the more remarkable is his focus on attacking President Bush on the stem cell issue.
The extraction of embryonic stem cells from tissue by Thompson and Gearhart a few short years ago has proven to hold out the possibility of curing most neurological diseases within our lifetimes. But the education of the public, making the whys and wherefores of a difficult science understandable and interesting to the American public has always been the challenge.

The community of the chronically ill and those with disabling conditions has worked long and hard to meet this challange. Jeff Martin's and Jim Cordy's testimony before the Congress last week was just the most recent attempt to convince Congress, and the public, of the absolute importance of this research.  Lieberman's campaign is proof that in some fundamental way that challenge is being met.

Joe Lieberman's "cure disease" platform is certain to change forever the political and public perception of the importance of the subject of stem cells and the need and ability to cure neurolgical illness. He will last long enough to turn the spotlgiht on this issue as perhaps the most important public policy decision of our time.
Lieberman has just entered the history books if he gets knocked out in the first primary.

I bet Karl Rove has his thinking cap on quite tightly right now.

Greg