also forwarded from PAN - response from the House of Representatives

--------- Forwarded message ----------
From: "LauraJane Cohen" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 18:27:06 -0400
Subject: FW: House GOP Members Letter to Bush

From our friends at CAMR...

Laura Jane Cohen
Director of Outreach
Parkinson's Action Network
1000 Vermont Ave., NW
Suite 900
Washington, D.C. 20005
ph: 202-842-4101 or 800-850-4726
fax: 202-842-4105
www.parkinsonsaction.org

-----Original Message-----
From: Soler, Larry [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Friday, May 23, 2003 4:09 PM
To: CAMR (new) (E-mail)
Subject: House GOP Members Letter to Bush

Following is a letter to President Bush sent by 11 GOP members asking for
him to revisit his human ES plan.

May 15, 2003

The Honorable George W. Bush
President of the United States
The White House
1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20500

Dear Mr. President:

We are writing to express our concerns over the current progress of the
National Institute of Health's (NIH) Human Embryonic Stem Cell Registry
(HESCR) as well as recent reports from the scientific community that
human
stem cell research in the United States could be handicapped by animal
interaction during laboratory research.  We ask that you revisit your
August
9, 2001 policy in light of this new information.  U.S. scientists
continue
to express their concern about the quality, longevity, availability and
terms of use of the stem cell lines made available under the policy.
Specifically, the creation of enough sterile, virus-free lines for
potential
cell-based therapy is of major concern.

The NIH has established the HESCR, which lists stem cell lines that are
eligible for use in federally funded research and currently available to
be
shipped to scientists.  The NIH registry originally listed 14
universities
and companies that had derived a total of 78 human embryonic stem cell
lines, which were eligible for use in federally funded research under the
August 2001 policy.  However, eventually many of these stem cell lines
were
found to be either unavailable or unsuitable for research.  The NIH has
testified that as of today, the HESCR only lists a total of 11 stem cell
lines available for research.

The human embryonic stem cell lines that have been isolated to date have
all
been grown on beds of mouse "feeder" cells.  These mouse cells secrete a
substance that prevents the human embryonic stem cells from
differentiating
into more mature cell types (such as nerve or muscle cells).  Infectious
agents, such as viruses, within the mouse feeder cells could transfer
into
the human cells.  If the human cells were transplanted into a patient,
these
infected human cells may cause disease in the patient, which could
eventually be transmitted to the general public.  Researchers at Johns
Hopkins found that human bone marrow cells can also act as feeder cells
for
human embryonic stem cells without causing contamination and preventing
those embryonic stem cells from morphing into more mature cell types.

The Honorable George W. Bush
President of the United States
Page Two
May 15, 2003

Therefore, we ask that you review the August 9, 2001 policy to determine
the
following: 1) Whether the policy has made enough lines available for this
fast-growing research community and 2) Whether changes should be made to
allow for the creation of new sterile, uncontaminated stem cell lines
such
as those that are currently being produced through recent discoveries at
Johns Hopkins University.

Diabetes, various cancers, spinal cords injuries, ALS, Alzheimers and
many
other illnesses and disabilities are likely to benefit from the advances
achieved by therapeutic human stem cell research.  However, like you and
virtually all Americans, we are strongly opposed to the use of stem cell
research for human reproductive purposes.

As this research moves forward, we continue to learn the safest ways to
adapt stem cells for future human exposure.  We have learned that disease
is
a complex and evolving enemy -- one that draws upon the forces of
heredity,
environmental factors, and the aging process.  The types of findings such
as
those at Johns Hopkins, will allow this research to be more quickly
adapted
for human therapeutic use.  We must have a national policy that allows
such
research discoveries to move forward and not handcuff our scientists.
These
recent breakthroughs are too important to the development of this
potential
life saving research and they deserve a thorough review to assess the
impact
they may have on the country's current stem cell research policy.

Sincerely,

1. Michael N. Castle (DE)
2. Christopher Shays (CT)
3. Mark Kirk (IL)
4. Jim Ramstad (MN)
5. Nancy L. Johnson (CT)
6. Sherwood Boehlert (NY)
7. George Nethercutt (WA)
8. Wayne Gilchrest (MD)
9. Doug Ose (CA)
10. Jim Leach (IA)
11. Jim Greenwood (PA)

Lawrence A. Soler
Vice President, Government Relations
Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation International
1400 I Street, NW, #530
Washington, DC 20005
(202) 371-9746 x12
(800) 533-1868 x12