The Gainesville Sun, FL
May 26. 2003 6:01AM
UF looks at treating Parkinson's in men
By DIANE CHUN
Sun medical writer

A new study is looking at the role of hormones in treating some symptoms.

Can treating men with the hormone testosterone reduce some of the symptoms of Parkinson's disease?

Researchers at the University of Florida are looking for the answer to that question in a new study funded by the
Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research.

"I noticed many Parkinson's disease patients had the 'dwindles' - low energy, fatigue, loss of quality of life - but it
didn't seem to be related to their movement symptoms," said Dr. Michael Okun, assistant professor of neurology in the
UF College of Medicine.

Okun said scientists at UF's McKnight Brain Institute will study a group of men with Parkinson's and low testosterone
levels to see if daily applications of testosterone by injection and in a topical gel will have any effect on their
symptoms.

The researchers will be looking at a number of very specific areas of motor and non-motor function to find where the
drug is working and what sorts of symptoms it can improve, according to Okun, who is co-director of the Movement
Disorder Center.

"We know that if we give testosterone back, it helps a lot of the symptoms of patients who have Parkinson's," Okun
said. "We are wondering whether there may be more than a symptomatic benefit, whether or not hormones play a role in
the development of neurodegenerative diseases."

As it turns out, he explained, in diseases like Alzheimer's, frontal temporal dementia and other neurodegenerative
processes that happen in the brain, it is becoming recognized that there are abnormalities in endocrine function.

"Are we talking about a direct tie? Probably not," he said. "But, are we talking about a factor that can influence
neurodegenerative function in the brain? We think there's likely to be some association."

More than 4 million people are affected by Parkinson's disease worldwide, including more than 500,000 Americans, and
there is no cure. Most of those affected are over 50, and experience tremors, rigidity, loss of balance and emotional
swings, according to the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke.

In the findings from a preliminary study published in the Archives of Neurology, Okun reported that patients who
received testosterone lost an average of two non-movement-related symptoms, which include fatigue, energy problems,
sexual dysfunction and depression. At the same time, the patients reported no adverse effects.

Okun said that women with Parkinson's disease who have had their ovaries removed can display the same symptoms as men
with low levels of testosterone.

He added that Parkinson's patients might assume that symptoms such as fatigue or depression can't be treated, thinking,
"I can't do anything about the way that I feel." In fact, he said, these symptoms may be very treatable.

"We've seen a lot of success stories, so we are going to try to follow through and see what's here," Okun said. "We do
plan on further trials, because one good thing always spins into another."

Diane Chun can be reached at 374-5041 or [log in to unmask]

SOURCE: The Gainesville Sun, FL
http://gainesvillesun.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20030526/LOCAL/205260338/1007

* * *

REFERENCE:

UF Scientists To Test Testosterone On Parkinson’s Symptoms In Men
April 8, 2003
http://www.napa.ufl.edu/2003news/testosterone.htm

UF researchers receive a large grant to study Parkinsons 4/11/2003
http://www.am850.com/main.asp?News_Id=6726

University of Florida researchers will study whether giving testosterone to men with Parkinson's disease who have low
levels of the hormone will curb some symptoms of the disease. 04/17/2003
http://jacksonville.bizjournals.com/jacksonville/stories/2003/04/14/daily28.html

* * *