the dirty little secret is that EVERY time the brain is "exposed" to an anesthetic there's a small -- albeit permanent (and cumulative!) -- damage.   all the more so in an already-compromised PD brain.

of course, the stronger the anesthetic, the harsher the consequences.  the GOOD news is that demerol is considered one of the more innocuous anesthetics, although the BAD news is that demerol also makes the list of counter-indicated combination drugs for PD.  i know that many neurologists consider this 'blacklisting' unsubstantiated and use demerol as the anesthetic of choice.

at any rate, PD or not, your brain is right on the button, bob.

(perhaps the docs on the list will sound off on the subject....?)

ariela