On 2 Jun 2003 at 13:45, Joy Graham wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Does anyone have any experience with this blood disorder?  I have looked up
> the sites, but there is nothing specific except that there is mention made
> of excessive iron in the brain being linked to Parkinson's and Alzheimer's.
> I wonder if many PWP also have this disorder?
>
> Joy Graham
>
> Bob & Joy Graham
> Ph & Fax (08) 9430 4730

Hi Bob & Joy,

I searched PubMed for   parkinson AND haemochromatosis

PubMed automatically converted those search terms to:
(parkinson[All Fields] AND ((hemochromatosis[Text Word] OR haemochromatosis[Text Word]) OR "hemochromatosis"))

Items 1-12 of 12

1: Pearce JM.
Armand Trousseau--some of his contributions to neurology.
J Hist Neurosci. 2002 Jun;11(2):125-35.
PMID: 12122805 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

2: Levy S.
Atrial fibrillation, the arrhythmia of the elderly, causes and associated conditions.
Anadolu Kardiyol Derg. 2002 Mar;2(1):55-60. Review.
PMID: 12101796 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

3: Buchanan DD, Silburn PA, Chalk JB, Le Couteur DG, Mellick GD.
The Cys282Tyr polymorphism in the HFE gene in Australian Parkinson's disease patients.
Neurosci Lett. 2002 Jul 19;327(2):91-4.
PMID: 12098643 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

4: Lee PL, Halloran C, Beutler E.
Polymorphisms in the transferrin 5' flanking region associated with differences in total iron binding capacity:
possible implications in iron homeostasis.
Blood Cells Mol Dis. 2001 Mar-Apr;27(2):539-48.
PMID: 11500065 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

5: Johnson S.
Iron catalyzed oxidative damage, in spite of normal ferritin and transferrin saturation levels and its possible role in
Werner's syndrome, Parkinson's disease, cancer, gout, rheumatoid arthritis, etc.
Med Hypotheses. 2000 Sep;55(3):242-4.
PMID: 10985917 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

6: Rolfs A, Hediger MA.
Metal ion transporters in mammals: structure, function and pathological implications.
J Physiol. 1999 Jul 1;518 ( Pt 1):1-12. Review.
PMID: 10373684 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

7: Brissot P.
[Biology and genetics of iron metabolism abnormalities. 7th Joint Meeting Inserm-SFBC. Paris, 27 November 1997]
Ann Biol Clin (Paris). 1998 Jul;56 Spec No:4. French. No abstract available.
PMID: 9867723 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

8: Merryweather-Clarke AT, Worwood M, Parkinson L, Mattock C, Pointon JJ, Shearman JD, Robson KJ.
The effect of HFE mutations on serum ferritin and transferrin saturation in the Jersey population.
Br J Haematol. 1998 May;101(2):369-73.
PMID: 9609537 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

9: Levy S.
Factors predisposing to the development of atrial fibrillation.
Pacing Clin Electrophysiol. 1997 Oct;20(10 Pt 2):2670-4. Review.
PMID: 9358513 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

10: Taylor TD, Litt M, Kramer P, Pandolfo M, Angelini L, Nardocci N, Davis S, Pineda M, Hattori H, Flett PJ, Cilio MR,
Bertini E, Hayflick SJ.
Homozygosity mapping of Hallervorden-Spatz syndrome to chromosome 20p12.3-p13.
Nat Genet. 1996 Dec;14(4):479-81.
PMID: 8944032 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

11: Nielsen JE, Jensen LN, Krabbe K.
Hereditary haemochromatosis: a case of iron accumulation in the basal ganglia associated with a parkinsonian syndrome.
J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 1995 Sep;59(3):318-21.
PMID: 7673967 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

12: Nohl H.
[Physiological and pathophysiological significance of superoxide-radicals and the regulatory role of the enzyme
superoxide dismutase (author's transl)]
Klin Wochenschr. 1981 Oct 1;59(19):1081-91. German.
PMID: 6285070 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov:80/entrez/query.fcgi?CMD=search&DB=PubMed

Have you seen these?  Are they any help?

cheers ....... murray

* * *