Nutrition Analysis: L-Carnitine.
Author/s:
Issue: Oct 25, 1999
In the last ten years, L-Carnitine has become one of the most studied and
most effectively utilized supplements worldwide.

In conclusion, a few words on the form of Carnitine that in the last years
has gained importance in the health food market, especially for its effects on
the nervous system, memory loss, stress and depression. We are speaking of
acetyl-L-Carnitine (ALC), an ester of Carnitine that was discovered in 1955 by
Friedman and Frankel. Unlike the other forms of Carnitine, ALC passes across the
hemato-encephalic barrier, and because of its solubility, it is suitable for
liquid and solid formulations designed to naturally retard some aspects of the
aging process. Combined with a balanced diet and exercise, it may
significantly improve daily life, improve memory and humor and slow down mental decline.
In general, it raises the quality of life and health of the individual.
Carnitine and its derivatives will show a steady growth in the nutritional
supplement industry. This will occur as we continue to communicate the vast
degree of evidence that already exists regarding the need for supplementing the
human diet with L-Carnitine. This evidence is due to the tremendous amount of
research and clinical studies that have been performed in universities,
hospitals, nutritional and sports medicine clinics around the world. However, we are
certain that those who read the currently available scientific data will
benefit most because they will be able to create their own niche in this competitive
industry. This would include nutritional products based on Carnitine for
specific categories of clients with precise needs (vegetarians, infants,
geriatric, athletes, adolescents, diabetics, etc.).

e-mail: [log in to unmask]
COPYRIGHT 1999 Schnell Publishing Company, Inc.
COPYRIGHT 2000 Gale Group