The Long Beach Press-Telegram, CA
Article Published: Sunday, June 01, 2003 - 7:35:05 PM PST

Doctor makes life easier to swallow
Lakewood: Speech pathologist showed early dedication to long career.
By Karen Robes, Staff writer
LAKEWOOD Jo Puntil- Sheltman's destiny in medicine dawned at an early age.

At 14 or 15, the Elhurst, Ill., native regularly took her nephew, Sean, who was born with a cleft palate, to his speech
classes two to three times a week.

"I wanted to help him,' said the Lakewood Regional Medical Center speech pathologist. "I always knew what I wanted to
do. I can't imagine not treating patients.'

Puntil-Sheltman's involvement in her nephew's life sparked an interest in medicine that has blazed a trail in speech
pathology. While many 22-year-olds struggle with career indecisiveness, Pun til-Sheltman muscled through college
courses, graduating from Illinois State University with a bachelor's degree in speech pathology in 1981, and then
earning her master's in the same field a year later.

"My father was dying of cancer, and I wanted him to see me graduate,' said Puntil-Sheltman, who was named after her
father. "It was very important to him.'

That summer, and with the blessing of her father, she moved to California and found herself traveling all over the
country, lecturing to crowds about dysphagia, a condition which affects those who have difficulty swallowing.

At 23, Puntil-Sheltman developed programs relating to swallowing at Long Beach Memorial Medical Center before coming to
Lakewood Regional in 1991.

"I followed doctors, nurses and nutritionists to see how they dealt with patients,' she said. "It came so easy to me.'

The 43-year-old Long Beach resident now serves as one of 10 leading nationwide experts in swallowing on the board of
the American Speech-Language- Hearing Association. She wrote "Follow the Swallow,' a flip book that details how a
normal person and a person with dysphagia swallows. Her husband, Elliott Sheltman, illustrated the book.

If there is one thing Puntil- Sheltman is known for throughout the hospital, it is her dedication to patients, co-
workers said.

"She's fantastic,' said clinical manager and registered nurse Lupe Anaya, who has worked with Puntil-Sheltman for eight
years. "She goes out of her way. Patients get the best of care. If they don't like what they're eating, she'll go to
the dietary department and get what they want.'

Puntil-Sheltman, the hospital's only clinical speech pathologist, sees about eight to 10 patients daily. "I'm eating
breakfast and lunch alone most of the time because I'm with patients, making sure they eat safely,' she said.
"Sometimes, dysphagia happens when a person's reflexes are delayed or the muscles are weak, or distracted by the act of
swallowing.'

Dysphagia can affect those who have had a stroke, Parkinson's disease, advanced dementia or neurological degenerative
diseases.

The "Thank You' cards that cover one wall of her tiny office are reminders of why Puntil- Sheltman loves the work she
does.

"Seeing somebody eat and communicate and to see people recovering from a devastating stroke,' she said, "it's pretty
rewarding.'

SOURCE: The Long Beach Press-Telegram, CA
http://www.presstelegram.com/Stories/0,1413,204~21474~1429454,00.html

* * *

Reference:

Follow the Swallow™
Author: Jo Puntil-Sheltman MS CCC-SLP

(#W030; Price = $49.95 U.S.)

A collection of original, hand painted illustrations and text detailing the swallowing process. Flipping the pages
gives the illusion of motion allowing the viewer to better understand the anatomy and physiology of the swallow. The
first half of this unique book is devoted to the normal swallow while the second half covers dysphagia. Seventy-two
large color illustrations, handy carry size (8" x 10 3/4").
English #W030

http://www.interactivetherapy.com/Merchant/Nprodindx.ihtml

* * *