The Akron Beacon Journal, OH
Posted on Wed, Jun. 04, 2003

`They came for Kathy'
Group hugs say goodbye
Ex-students help send 31-year MRDD teacher to retirement
By Kymberli Hagelberg
Beacon Journal staff writer

CANTON TWP. - Many of Kathy Klich's students have some trouble expressing themselves clearly with words.
That did not matter Tuesday, when their love for the retiring special education teacher seemed beyond words anyway.

Klich is a week away from her last day of teaching at Southgate School. Former students and colleagues gathered Tuesday
to give her a warm send-off. The 52-year-old teacher from North Canton has been guiding students with mental
retardation and developmental disabilities for 31 years.

Friends and loved ones have known her retirement was coming for some time. More than 10 years ago, Klich was diagnosed
with Parkinson's disease. In 1999, she gave up directing the Sounds of Silence choir, a group of Southgate students who
performed on the Today show and at Bill Clinton's 1993 presidential inauguration.

Lately, Klich has been sitting more than standing, and sometimes it's difficult for her to raise her arms.

``If it wasn't for her health, I don't think she'd be going,'' Southgate Principal Becky Stallman said. ``Her heart is
still here.''

Klich decided on Christmas that this year would be her last.

The veteran teacher plans to spend time with her son, a student at Malone College, and a daughter who attends the Art
Institute of Pittsburgh. ``I'd like to take some art classes myself, and I want to knit,'' Klich said Tuesday. Of
course, she'll also volunteer at Southgate. Her exact duties are still up in the air, but Klich's commitment hasn't
changed. ``Whatever they need me to do, I'll do,'' she said.

Klich's interest in special education began at an age when most young women are preoccupied with school and boys.

``I think she was in eighth or ninth grade,'' said Martha McCoy. ``We were in the car, and she said, `Mom, when I grow
up, I want to have a retarded child.' ''  McCoy's eyes still flood at the memory. ``She said, `I want to teach it how
to do things.' Since then, she hasn't deviated one inch from that goal,'' her mother said.

Many of the students Klich taught over the years came back to celebrate with her. Parents came, too. And just like
Sinatra and his Rat Pack, the Sounds of Silence choir showed up for a few more verses of New York, New York.

Gust Molas, now 52, was still the oldest member. Cheryl Royer, at 21, remains the baby of the group. Tom Schneider,
unarguably the boldest choir member, sang and danced along with a video of the group's Washington, D.C., appearance.

``This was always a rather individualistic group,'' Tom's dad, Jerry Schneider, said before the show. ``Now that it has
been three years without a rehearsal, they ought to be real individuals. ``It doesn't matter how they do, they came for
Kathy,'' he added. ``And they all miss this. It was the only social life most of them had.''

Dianne Royer, Cheryl's mother, said the choir had an impact that extended beyond its effect on the students. ``The best
thing Kathy did was show the community what MRDD really does for people. The kids would sing and sign and smile, and it
was clear we're the same,'' she said. ``The kids want the same kinds of things all of us want.''

Klich sat on a chair and faced her choir for its performance. The students took their eyes off her just long enough to
rush into a group hug with her at the end of every song. No one missed a cue.  Time fell away, and there was no need
for words.  All the signs were clear.

And like every good reunion show, the big finish was really all about goodbye.

Kymberli Hagelberg can be reached
at 330-478-6000 (Ext. 14) or 1-800-478-5445
or [log in to unmask]

SOURCE: The Akron Beacon Journal, OH
http://www.ohio.com/mld/ohio/news/6009495.htm

* * *