I'm new to this list, and to this topic, but it sounds like an
experience that I had twice, a year apart, 2 and 3 years ago.  Sort of
an overlay on what I saw, of a geometric figure, circular but not the
whole circle.  I mentioned it to my ophthalmologist, who told me that
it was an ophthalmic migraine.  I looked that up in a web search, and
got a bit jealous,because the illustration was in color, and mine
merely black and white.  I was told not to worry  unless it became
regular.  And no, I've never had any of the usual migraine headaches.