I agree Linda.

My take with my usual cynicism: There's a lot of competition for generic Sinemet, so this is their way of trying to do an end run around the PD market.  This ensures a higher market share and higher profits then they've had before. But this drug does not hold up to many of us who tailor their daily doses of "sinemet," although it may become popular with Drs. And as you say, it's not really a new drug as they claim; it's just a new marketing strategy.
..."We are proud to introduce a product like Stalevo which can enhance the daily lives of many people with Parkinson's
disease," stated Paulo Costa, president and CEO, Novartis
Pharmaceuticals Corporation. "As the fourth Parkinson's drug
Novartis has introduced in the United States, Stalevo is a clear
example of our company's ongoing commitment to the
Parkinson's community."...

So, I went to the Novartis site and looked for their other 3 PD drugs--they claim that Stalevo is the 4th PD drug--I found ancient Parlodel (bromocriptine), Comtan and it's generic entacapone. I count that as 1 hasbeen and 1 good new drug, not 3--no wonder they've combined a generic sinemet with their generic Comtan, rather than coming out with just another generic sinemet. They had basically 1 drug as an "example of our company's ongoing commitment to the
Parkinson's community."...

Give me a break.

Charlotte

Linda J Herman <[log in to unmask]> wrote:RE:
<Reduces Signs and Symptoms of Disease.

EAST HANOVER, N.J., Jun 13, 2003 /PRNewswire via COMTEX/ -- Novartis
Pharmaceuticals Corporation today announced that the U.S. Food and Drug
Administration (FDA) has approved Stalevo (carbidopa, levodopa and
entacapone) tablets, the first new drug for Parkinson's disease in over
three years, for patients with idiopathic Parkinson's disease (PD) who
experience signs and symptoms of end- of-dose "wearing off." Stalevo
contains levodopa, the most widely used agent for Parkinson's disease,
plus carbidopa and entacapone. While carbidopa reduces the side effects
of levodopa, entacapone
extends its benefits, permitting Parkinson's disease patients to have an
improved ability to perform everyday tasks and a reduction in symptoms
associated with the disease... >>

This press release is very misleading (note: I am NOT blaming the
messenger (Murray); I do have an issue with Novartis though for
advertising this as "the first new drug for Parkinson's disease in over
three years." It is merely a combination of two commonly prescribed
drugs - Entacapone, which is the generic name for Comtan - a medication
people have been taking for a few years now, and Sinemet.

Aside from the convenience of swallowing one pill instead of two at a
time, what are the benefits of Stalevo? It seems to me that taking this
combined version of tthe two would only make it more difficult to tailor
our dosages to our individual needs .

Or am I missing something here?
Linda