On 13 Jun 2003 at 15:36, Linda J Herman wrote: (in part)

> This press release is very misleading (note: I am NOT  blaming the
> messenger (Murray); I do have an issue with Novartis though for
> advertising  this as "the first new drug for Parkinson's disease in over
> three years."  It is merely a combination of two commonly prescribed
> drugs -  Entacapone, which is the generic name for Comtan - a medication
> people have been taking for a few years now, and Sinemet.
>
> Aside from the convenience of swallowing one pill instead of two at a
> time, what are the benefits of Stalevo?  It seems to me that taking this
> combined version  of tthe two would only make it more difficult to tailor
> our dosages to our individual needs .
>
> Or am I missing something here?
> Linda

Thank Heaven (& Linda) I am not being blamed! .. murray

Hi Linda, janet, Charlotte, Joan, Jorge...

I've been following this story for a number of years now, so I'm quite used to their expansive use of the English
language in patting themselves on the back... (I didn't evn blink...)

Also... my initial thoughts re: combination therapy were that (since entacapone is nothing without Sinemet) entacapone
should ONLY be used in combination and if one pill is cheaper than two....

this discussion has "more" at the MGH BrainTalk...

http://neuro-mancer.mgh.harvard.edu/ubb/Forum71/HTML/008556.html

cheers ........ murray

* * *
Murray Charters <[log in to unmask]>