I cannot speak to the long term effects of Sinment beyond 5 years. I will say that if you are very active and are very careful with the medicine and not take more than absolutely necessary you can stretch out the onset of side effects for several years. I unfortunately became over medicated before I should have. With more knowledge I have cut back about  25%. A 100/250  CR dose peaks in 3 or 4 hours. If you work out a fairly tight schedule of medication and meals, you can have a decent work day. I think the balance is between current function and future problems which may or may not be that bad. Still, your doctor is right to be cautious.

 Regards, Bill Lawless
[Post hoc, ergo propter hoc!] a logical fallacy.

----- Original Message -----
  From: Roberta Innarella
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Sunday, June 08, 2003 8:24 PM
  Subject: Re: Paula from PA

  Bob, yes my doctor does not want to give me Sinmet because of the inevitable
  (supposedly) side effects.  Don't know much about taking Comtan anad Sinemet
  together.  Yes, I'm still working.  I am on my own and need to keep working as
  long as I can but when you're a secretary and your left hand is uncooperative
  while typing, it's difficult.  I would love to find some relief from my
  symptoms (other than sleeping).  Have tried Amantadine, Mirapex, Artane, Requip,
  Eldepryl.  Amantadine and Artane twice.  I'm running out of options.  Don't know
  what to do.  Roberta