From: "Charlotte A Mancuso" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Friday, June 13, 2003 7:17 PM
Subject: Re: FDA Approves Stalevo (TM) for Treatment of Parkinson's Disease
New Drug Reduces Signs and Symptoms of Disease.

> I agree Linda.
>
> My take with my usual cynicism: There's a lot of competition for generic
Sinemet, so this is their way of trying to do an end run around the PD
market.  This ensures a higher market share and higher profits then they've
had before. But this drug does not hold up to many of us who tailor their
daily doses of "sinemet," although it may become popular with Drs. And as
you say, it's not really a new drug as they claim; it's just a new marketing
strategy.
> ..."We are proud to introduce a product like Stalevo which can enhance the
daily lives of many people with Parkinson's
> disease," stated Paulo Costa, president and CEO, Novartis
> Pharmaceuticals Corporation. "As the fourth Parkinson's drug
> Novartis has introduced in the United States, Stalevo is a clear
> example of our company's ongoing commitment to the
> Parkinson's community."...
>
> So, I went to the Novartis site and looked for their other 3 PD
drugs--they claim that Stalevo is the 4th PD drug--I found ancient Parlodel
(bromocriptine), Comtan and it's generic entacapone. I count that as 1
hasbeen and 1 good new drug, not 3--no wonder they've combined a generic
sinemet with their generic Comtan, rather than coming out with just another
generic sinemet. They had basically 1 drug as an "example of our company's
ongoing commitment to the
> Parkinson's community."...
>
> Give me a break.
>
> Charlotte
>

> Linda J Herman <[log in to unmask]> wrote:RE:
> <Reduces Signs and Symptoms of Disease.
>
> EAST HANOVER, N.J., Jun 13, 2003 /PRNewswire via COMTEX/ -- Novartis
> Pharmaceuticals Corporation today announced that the U.S. Food and Drug
> Administration (FDA) has approved Stalevo (carbidopa, levodopa and
> entacapone) tablets, the first new drug for Parkinson's disease in over
> three years, for patients with idiopathic Parkinson's disease (PD) who
> experience signs and symptoms of end- of-dose "wearing off." Stalevo
> contains levodopa, the most widely used agent for Parkinson's disease,
> plus carbidopa and entacapone. While carbidopa reduces the side effects
> of levodopa, entacapone
> extends its benefits, permitting Parkinson's disease patients to have an
> improved ability to perform everyday tasks and a reduction in symptoms
> associated with the disease... >>
>
> This press release is very misleading (note: I am NOT blaming the
> messenger (Murray); I do have an issue with Novartis though for
> advertising this as "the first new drug for Parkinson's disease in over
> three years." It is merely a combination of two commonly prescribed
> drugs - Entacapone, which is the generic name for Comtan - a medication
> people have been taking for a few years now, and Sinemet.
>
> Aside from the convenience of swallowing one pill instead of two at a
> time, what are the benefits of Stalevo? It seems to me that taking this
> combined version of tthe two would only make it more difficult to tailor
> our dosages to our individual needs .
>
> Or am I missing something here?
> Linda

mailto:[log in to unmask]