Murray Charters wrote:
<<Also... my initial thoughts re: combination therapy were that (since
entacapone is nothing without Sinemet) entacapone should ONLY be used in
combination and if one pill is cheaper than two....>>

If that is the case - that the new combo drug will be less expensive --
then hats off to Orion/Novartis. I truly hope it will be.
But i'm afraid 7 + years of reading drug company PR, media hype about
"revolutionary new treatments," adding up the always increasing  costs of
 PD meds,  and dealing with insurance companies can turn anyone into a
cynic. The first question that came to my cynical mind was - when does
Orion's patent for Comtan expire? When will a generic version of Comtan
become available - and how will the price of the new Stalevo compare with
generic versions of Comtan and levodopa?

The company's advertising to doctors states that by combining the 2 meds
into one pill  and making it more convenient - there will be  better
patient "compliance".   I think the major reason for noncompliance among
PD patients is not being able to  afford their medications. If we don't
take our meds - we don't move - it's a great motivator for being
"compliant."

 I began taking Comtan a few months ago, (after 6 years on Sinemet and
later adding Requip) and it has helped  in extending the effectiveness of
my Sinemet dose - but it took some  trial and error to find the right
dosages and timing of the 3 meds.
I haven't seen anything  yet about how many mil. of each drug is in each
Stalevo or if it will be available in different dosages.  I am generally
wary of combination meds. - afraid they decrease our ability  to
effectively balance our very individual meds schedules . PD is definitely
not a "one size fits all" disease.

I really hope my skepticism is unfounded, and that the addition of
Stalevo as another option for  Parkinson's treatments will be beneficial
to many PWP  .Guess i'm just disappointed that "the first new drug for
Parkinson's in over three years " is essentially a repackaging of one old
drug and another very old drug.

Linda