Believe it or not, in today's mail I got a letter informing me that my
application for Disability Retirement through the State Teachers
Retirement System has been approved!  I started the process at the
beginning of May and they finished today, June 14th....  I can't
believe it!  The representatives were super helpful, and kept looking
up my file to keep me posted on which pieces of the application had
been received and which were missing.  So even though they told me that
the process was taking from 2 to 6 months, they got it done in a month
and a half.  Amazing!

Now I need to come to grips with the idea of being an at home dad (my
youngest son is ecstatic, my teenager is still in denial,) helping with
the house chores and all that, and finding some outside activities to
become involved with.  I guess the other thing that is an area of
concern is the economic situation.  STRS disability is 50% of the
average of your 3 highest salaries.  I also receive 10% per kid extra
until they reach 22 years of age (as long as they're in school.)  My
wife and I are finding however, that our expenses are dropping in some
ways.  I'll write later about the changes we're seeing in our life
post-disability.

Scott
Relieved in California