I'm resending -- I meant this to go to the PIE Net. Thanks again, Joan for pointing it out that it went to you offlist instead:

Date:Fri, 13 Jun 2003 22:50:09 -0700 (PDT)From:"Charlotte A Mancuso" <[log in to unmask]> Subject:Re: FDA Approves Stalevo (TM) for Treatment of Parkinson's Disease New Drug Reduces Signs and Symptoms of Disease.To:"Joan Hartman" <[log in to unmask]>
Joan, et al.

That's just what I originally thought, but then Novartis doesn't make or rather market brand name Sinemet. Still, your point is well taken. Perhaps they saw the trend of a phase-out of Sinemet, per se, and trumped the rest of the generic market including the makers of the brand name Sinemet with a new generic sinemet combined with generic Comtan.  The makers of Sinemet also make a generic of it, I'm pretty sure, which is preferred by many PWPs since it is supposed to be identical to the brand name, and many people are being forced to use the generic by their insurers.  This is an end run, IMHO, around the makers of Sinemet and the rest of the generic market.

Novartis doesn't have much for PD, but they have Comtan, entacapone, so why not pry some of the huge market share away from the makers of Sinemet (Merck? Squibb? I can't keep track of these mergers--I obviously take another generic).  It looks like "head to head combat" to me.

Charlotte

Joan Hartman <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
For the past few months, there's been sort of a "shortage" of sinement and
the pharmacists say the manufacturers just don't seem to be shipping the
sinemet. ..... I wonder if the "new drug" announcement has anything to do
with this so-called shortage... ...after all if we cannot get the sinemet
we have to take something ....do they want us to think that because it is a
new drug it's a better drug.....like you can't get your sinemet, so try it,
you'll like it.... Joan Hartman