From: [log in to unmask]
Full-name: Annie ann 12345
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 15:03:25 EDT
Subject: Re: WASHINGTON: Lawmakers Assail NIH Funding For Sexual-Arousal Conference
To: [log in to unmask]

After reading this article from the Washington Times, printed June 24, I am
outraged and taking action.  For those who are not familiar with the subject, I
will try to explain briefly that it concerns NIH funding of a sex study where
$147,000 of taxpayer's dollars were spent for a Northwestern University study
in which women were paid to view pornography while using an instrument called
a plethysmograph to measure their sexual response.  This study is being
followed up by the NIH granting another $26,000 of taxpayer money to fund a
conference on sexual arousal next month at the Kinsey Institute in Bloominton, Ind.

Representative Jeff Flake of Arizona and Dave Weldon of Florida are two
members of congress who have picked up on this issue and are demanding an
explanation from the NIH Director Dr. Elias Adam Zerhouni for what they call a "bizarre
spending decision."

When every penny of taxpayer money is so urgently needed for research to find
 cures for the many devastating diseases that ravage the citizens of this
nation it is an outrage to find that our dollars are being spent on such
debauchery.  The NIH grant-review process is clearly broken and we need to work to fix
it.

I am making my calls to the NIH with the intention of letting my voice be
heard on this issue and to let them know that this is unacceptable.

I will be getting some callbacks from a couple of parties who represent the
NIH stand on this issue...One of whom is George Gaines (Public Liaison with the
NIH) and another from Robert Bock.

I will keep the Forum posted on the developments as I learn more.  In the
meantime, keep in mind that it is important to all of us that the money that goes
to Washington be spent in the most effective manner and on the most serious
health issues that this country faces.  To learn that it is being used to pay
women to watch pornography and fund a conference to tell everyone the obvious
while funding for serious health issues goes lagging should be an outrage to us
all.  We need to let it be known that this will not be tolerated.

Dee